Ending a part loan I need help...

pinkcauliflowercat

Jan 19, 2023
Hello,

I really some advice. I've been loaning a horse 1 day a week for a couple months now, and I feel like it's going no where.

My loan's on a strict routine everything needs to be done in an order and at certain times which I understand however due to this I can't ride him in the mornings currently. But the last couple of weeks I have been told by the owner 1/2hours before I'm meant to ride that I can't ride him in the afternoon either due to weather etc, so I've lost out on my day of riding a few times.

I still have to go and muck out and do the jobs etc in the morning/evening and sometimes end up mucking out a couple times a day due to people being busy in the week. My loan is also unable to trot on hacks which is difficult when out with others as he is slow and cannot canter due to being unfit and I cannot ride him for more than 25 mins.

The owner is very full on as I understand as she needs to trust someone but it has been a couple months now and it is very constant. I feel like ending it as I can't progress with him but I don't know how, I see people having so much fun with their loans and I can't even trot/canter mine. It's been stressing me out a lot as I feel like I'm letting them down but I need to put myself first as at the moment I am just paying someone to muck out their horse :(

I had this with a loan i had, the owner constantly changed the days - i had saturday - and often i was unable to ride at all, so i told the livery yard where he was kept. They had a word and it improved for a while then she sold him. I would just get out of it. It's bad enough owning a horse and not being able to ride but it's a bit much when it is a share arrangement. OK once in a while but not longterm

Reactions: Huggy
Were you aware of the restrictions before you started with him? Either way, if you want to end the agreement I would just politely give them the required notice, something along the lines of “thank you for the opportunity, but I need to end the loan”. I prefer to do it face to face or by phone but would always follow up with an email or text so it’s in writing.
You don’t need to say why you’re ending it, but they may wish to change things to keep you if you do, or it may help them to find someone more suitable in future.

Were you aware of the restrictions before you started with him? Either way, if you want to end the agreement I would just politely give them the required notice, something along the lines of “thank you for the opportunity, but I need to end the loan”. I prefer to do it face to face or by phone but would always follow up with an email or text so it’s in writing.
You don’t need to say why you’re ending it, but they may wish to change things to keep you if you do, or it may help them to find someone more suitable in future.
No I wasn't, I also don't have a contract in place but I'll probably end up giving them a months notice.

Give the required notice. But if the horse has not been available for share when you have paid, I think you could deduct those weeks from the notice time required.

But with any share, there is the rider horse relationship too. There was a point where my old share could only manage very gentle hacks but I had already been riding her for years and treated her as gently as was needed.

It is a grey area as I now share a horse of whom I am very fond and whom I have hacked safely for a long time. She is off work and
I was offered another horse to ride but due to the height and width of the horse, I am undecided.

No I wasn't, I also don't have a contract in place but I'll probably end up giving them a months notice.
Definitely chalk that up to part of the learning curve, always ask zillions of questions first! but if you weren’t aware up front then I think it’s likely worth explaining that this has meant you have not been able to ride on your days and that’s the reason you are going to look for something else, the owner may not realise it’s caused you an issue.

Is this a loan you took on after your bad riding school experience or is this a loan from the riding school. I recall you posting previously.

In a similar situation still looking myself but Im being very particular about what Im looking for this time round.
Test the waters and quietly go look at other horses for loan locally to see what your options are. you could always privately message facebook adverts instead of responding directly on the post to keep things on the down low and only tell those you trust. Seems very restrictive and only being able to walk is pretty disappointing. Get chatting offer to help others / exercise for others on the yard. Many are open to loaners and prefer people they know so could be an advantage. No harm in a light hearted 'if you're ever looking comment' if the opportunity arises. Just be careful who's in earshot.

Is this a loan you took on after your bad riding school experience or is this a loan from the riding school. I recall you posting previously.
Not related to the riding school, thankfully my riding school are great it is just bad first loan experience on my part should of tried out other options but now i know what i need to do to make it better for next time.

I'd give notice, I think. One day a week is so little, that it makes it all the more precious. Like so many things, it's trial and error. Maybe the owner will ease up a bit and see the unfairness of the arrangement, but if not, there are other owners and horses - it's just a case of punting around for a bit, until the right one pops up.

To be honest if you're getting so little riding, and that severely restricted, plus you're not only mucking out etc on your day but others too and there's no contract I wouldn't be giving notice I'd just be saying sorry but this isn't working for me so I'm done with immediate effect.

Reactions: Skib
newrider.com