Entitled/rude people and horse stories!

Jun 12, 2019
Illinois
Hey, I’ve noticed a lot of these on Reddit and other similar forums so I decided I’d share my own.

This was from my first horse show, I was about eight or nine.

Long story short, the horse infront of me, Elegance, rest in peace my wonderful baby, farted in my horse, Windy’s face, so Windy backed waaaay up into the horse behind her, Violet, who spooked because Windy kicks. This little kid (who is actually in my lesson group now, several years later!) fell off of Violet, and after she left with Violet in tears the show carried on. Normal experience, right? Wrong. I ended up winning first place in that event and the mom came up to me after while I was spoiling Windy because she did so well, and blamed ME for her child falling. I had no control over Elegance’s digestive system, and I did control Windy’s reaction as much as possible. She wanted to bolt, I told her no and she settled for backing up. Anyways, this mom was yelling at me and blaming me for her kid getting hurt and demanded I hand over my ribbon and trophy to her kid just as my mom and dad came over. I was almost in tears, I have really bad social anxiety and hate being yelled at, and Windy and the other horses nearby were freaking out because she was so loud. My dad said in one of those icy cold voices that instill fear into the depths of your soul, “If you don’t step away from my daughter right now I will call the police.” Needless to say, she high-tailed it out of there. She’s a very friendly woman now, and my dad doesn’t recognize her so we’re all good.

What’re your insane stories of rude/entitled people with/around your horses?

To be honest I can see why the girl's mum was upset, although her reaction was out of line - adults shouldn't have a go at children like that. If you had so little control that a minor incident like that caused your horse to run backwards into another then you really should have been on a lead rein though, so as I said I can see why she was upset & annoyed.

Can we just get something straight though? In this thread you say it was your first show & you were eight or nine. In another thread you said your first show was almost three years ago
https://www.newrider.com/threads/second-competition.254578/ which given you say you're now fourteen in your profile would have made you eleven. I hate to say it but I'm starting to doubt the honesty of your posts . . .

To be honest I can see why the girl's mum was upset, although her reaction was out of line - adults shouldn't have a go at children like that. If you had so little control that a minor incident like that caused your horse to run backwards into another then you really should have been on a lead rein though, so as I said I can see why she was upset & annoyed.

Can we just get something straight though? In this thread you say it was your first show & you were eight or nine. In another thread you said your first show was almost three years ago
https://www.newrider.com/threads/second-competition.254578/ which given you say you're now fourteen in your profile would have made you eleven. I hate to say it but I'm starting to doubt the honesty of your posts . . .
My posts are honest, my age on here isn’t. It wouldn’t let me use my real age so I had to say I was older. I’m truly 12.

Also, to be fair, every horse startled but Windy chose to back up as the loud noise was directly infront of her face. A horse being simply too close to her rear has also caused her to spook- that actually happened the very first time I rode her. Scared me into being perfect the rest of the lesson, and made her my favorite.

In addition, with me saying my first show was almost three years ago and my real age being 12, that makes me saying my first show was at 8 or 9 true.

Reactions: TimmysMom
You should really be looking for a forum for kids - you have to be SO careful going on forums that adults use. There's a good reason for age restrictions, they are there to protect you. I'm sure there are kids forum's out there, and you'd probably find others who are horse mad to chat to. :)

You should really be looking for a forum for kids - you have to be SO careful going on forums that adults use. There's a good reason for age restrictions, they are there to protect you. I'm sure there are kids forum's out there, and you'd probably find others who are horse mad to chat to. :)
Yes, probably, but people under the age of 25’s brains arent fully developed in the area that deals with seeing potential consequences so when looking for advice about getting specific horses, adults would be better.

Reactions: TimmysMom
Yes, probably, but people under the age of 25’s brains arent fully developed in the area that deals with seeing potential consequences so when looking for advice about getting specific horses, adults would be better.

Yes, adults who you know in real life, not over the internet. What you need to do is talk honestly with your parents & get them to talk with your instructor. Let them realistically talk about the cost & expenses of a horse, your abilities and what you should be looking for if indeed you should be looking at all.

On this forum all we have is your assessment of your abilities, and if I'm honest I feel you're greatly over-estimating what you can manage. If you must have a horse then I think you need to look at something suitable for a novice & probably no bigger than 14.2. Something suitable is likely to be outside your price range - at the prices you're looking at you're likely to be looking at old horses, or ones with health or behavioural problems - the first will probably limit what you can do, the second will probably limit what you can do & cost you a fortune in vets bills, as for the last well I hope your parents have good medical insurance!

If you really are serious about getting a horse ask your parents to make an appointment to discuss it with your instructor & if they decide to go ahead they need to ask her to help them find a suitable one for you.

Reactions: Huggy
You have joined the forum dishonestly since there is a minimum age for members, on that basis your posts shouldn't even be here! Your age does make a difference when a lot of your posts are about buying horses, the advice given would be different and worded differently. Your facts are coloured by a child's perception & are not facts that we can rely on. Your personal integrity is in doubt because you lied to join the forum - is it any wonder we can't trust what you say? You're a little girl trying to be grown up & failing.

You have joined the forum dishonestly since there is a minimum age for members, on that basis your posts shouldn't even be here! Your age does make a difference when a lot of your posts are about buying horses, the advice given would be different and worded differently. Your facts are coloured by a child's perception & are not facts that we can rely on. Your personal integrity is in doubt because you lied to join the forum - is it any wonder we can't trust what you say? You're a little girl trying to be grown up & failing.
What, you want me to delete my account or something? Damn.

At 12 your parents and your trainer should be helping you horse hunting, not complete strangers on a forum.
Are you in the local pony club? They maybe able to help.
There are no pony clubs near me, my parents know nothing about horses and I have no contact with my trainer outside of my lesson, which is only once a week

There are no pony clubs near me, my parents know nothing about horses and I have no contact with my trainer outside of my lesson, which is only once a week

In which case there is no way you should be looking to buy or loan. If you want more horse time get an extra lesson a week or offer to help out.

My two penn'orth. Few 12 year olds write like this. Just saying.

This had crossed my mind too Frances :)

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com