Equine herpes virus

Bodshi..
That is good there is a Facebook group
That provides updates.

Over here I get the Edcc updates for all reportable equine diseases for the USA
and Canada.

Not that I go far its a good tool to know whats around.

I don't think a lot of people realize how many ways things CAN SPREAD.

Ive not seen yet that the 2 large barns one in Ma and one in Ri quarrentined for strangles have been released.

I hope it gets under control over there
Quicky it is a big worry.

Reactions: Bodshi
I am in bucks our yard is locked down nothing in nothing out and no hacking.
Just about to call and cancel the physio and saddler both due this week.

However the riding school is carrying on!!!!
The riding school on your yard I assume, that's craziness, to lock down but not fully. I guess they are assuming those coming in for lessons don't see or touch other horses.

I've just read a report from the vets dealing with it I believe that says unless a horse on your yard has visited crofton you can continue as normal so they must think it's quite well contained.

Thank goodness liphook hospital had the horse isolated other wise could be a very different story now!

Reactions: Jessey
Realistically EHV, like strangles, is endemic so there are nearly always cases somewhere in the country and most adult horses will have been exposed to it at some point with many never even showing much in the way of symptoms. Unfortunately the strain at Crofton is one that can cause paralysis and from there fatalities, hence the quarantine and ensuing panic, but as a community we do need to keep a sense of proportion about this and I would say that unless a yard has horses that have been exposed to this strain or are very close to Crofton then common sense and decent biosecurity measure should be enough, eg avoid large gatherings of horses but sensible hacking routes and should be ok.

Reactions: Jessey
I just saw there's been an abortion confirmed due to ehv in Worcestershire. Of course that could be unrelated/normal crop up of the disease.

newrider.com