Equine Influenza Outbreak

I was interested (I know the human flu vaccine isn't live) and found an article on a USA vet site which said that intramuscular injections are usually inactivated, intranasal vaccines are usually live. The interesting thing was that it went on to talk about a live, intranasal, version of the flu vaccine, implying that it offered better protection than the inactive injection. Has anyone heard of this? I've only ever been offered an injection by my vet.
Active or inactive it triggers a small immune response, and once the body recognises the virus it knows how to respond if there is a future full blown exposure. That recognition (immunity) decreases over time, so it makes sense that repeating sooner would keep the immunity higher. I've heard of nasal sprays for humans, the guys at work get it and all say they get sick from it.

Reactions: Bodshi
Still not going to get the booster if it has changed then a booster of the same type will not help.

BD events not cancelled but passport check enforce at entry point to event.

I have cancelled but not because of this but that my trailer is still in the garage getting its annual service and it’s still not ready

My thoughts too NF
Not just vets but feed & shavings deliveries etc. We have deliveries at work from Dodson & Horrell, Bedmax etc. and they will have been to other yards. The company I work for are taking it very seriously and doing as much as possible to maintain biosecurity but things still get overlooked!

Reactions: Trewsers
Not just vets but feed & shavings deliveries etc. We have deliveries at work from Dodson & Horrell, Bedmax etc. and they will have been to other yards. The company I work for are taking it very seriously and doing as much as possible to maintain biosecurity but things still get overlooked!
Yes, I went to our local tack shop/feed supplier today and they were saying they’d have to stop their deliveries if it comes round here :(

Wow traveling 5 miles is a bit scary :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I vaccinate for everything over here.
It's not worth taking chances.

Virginia across the street has the horsey bed and breakfast. So strange horses do go there.

I have no idea what she requires for strange horses.
When I brought the horses there first when she bought this place since we did not have stalls set up I don't think she asked for anything.

Earlier this year I signed up for equine disease alerts.
It covers the USA and CANADA.

I'm a bit shocked at how many I get.
It does not give specific names of farms.

Thankfully only one was close so far a few months ago.

The updates I get are not just flu.
Its many things and it's a bit scary.
Many horses die of the various things or are put down lots of quarantines.
There is pretty good data to aspects of age gender and vaccinated or not etc
How many other horses stabled.

A couple weeks ago
There was even a big race track down south with several barns quarantined for
EIA

They had just had some big races that were on TV a few days prior.

My worry would be Anyone going different places
Vet trainer. Farrier
If you get feed or hay deliveries how big is that risk going farm to farm.
I think one can only do what one can do, so to speak. Unfortunately there will always be people who take silly risks. A woman near us continuously flouted the foot and mouth restrictions and snuck into the inclosures near us, until someone reported her. (No idea who, really I don't, not a clue, no Guv, wasn't me) She could have killed off a dozen horses or more, just by selfishness.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I can still remember the piles of animals by the gates.
I think a flock was wiped out because the vet brought the f&t onto the farm. They never replaced the stock as it completely killed off the lineage.

Last edited:
REALLY AWFUL :(

I remember years ago seeing huge piles of burning cow carcasses on tv during the big
MAD cow Scare.
Yes, during the foot and mouth, all forest inclosures were out of bounds. Luckily, we have a short circuit that takes us down the lane, through a RS yard (I got owners permission, ) and back up to ours. Kept ours ticking over, but it made me so MAD seeing this woman sneaking in the forest gate as we went past, without even the grace to look ashamed.:mad:

Reactions: Trewsers
There is a special place in HELL
for someone like that.:mad::mad:

There was a woman where I was taking
Jumping lessons years ago. I brought my own saddle.
And my parents came to watch and after this woman came up NICE SADDLE...
Getting rudely invasive looking it over.
My father was off a few feet away just watching.
She went away and my father said make sure you NEVER have that saddle un attended .
Lock it right In your car after your lesson if your going to watch other lessons...
THAT WAS NOT ADMIRING. That was scoping it out to steal and looking for identification on it that could be removed.

TURNS OUT there was a rash of tack being stolen there.
And who was sitting next to me watching lessons. This same woman
OHHHH WE ARE ONE BUG FAMILY HERE WHO WOULD DO THAT

Turns out it was HER...:eek:

GETTING INFO ON TACK. LISTING IT AND STEALING IT AFTER SHE SOLD IT.

SO PEOPLE CAN BE AWFUL

I was only doing lessons there not on my horses so I was not there all that much to know ongoing things happening there.
. my horses
Were at home

She was caught when someone recognized their saddle where ever she was listing them and
Someone bought it and she kept delaying sending it with all sorts of excuses..
Ya she had not managed to steal it yet

That's bad but not as bad as endangering
Animals lives.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
newrider.com