Equine Influenza Outbreak

I think one can only do what one can do, so to speak. Unfortunately there will always be people who take silly risks. A woman near us continuously flouted the foot and mouth restrictions and snuck into the inclosures near us, until someone reported her. (No idea who, really I don't, not a clue, no Guv, wasn't me) She could have killed off a dozen horses or more, just by selfishness.

While the woman was irresponsible to ignore restrictions you needn't have worried about the horses because they aren't affected by foot & mouth.

Reactions: Jessey
While the woman was irresponsible to ignore restrictions you needn't have worried about the horses because they aren't affected by foot & mouth.
That's interesting - I didn't know that. Though I suppose she was still putting other animals at risk. I did wonder what a particular guy did with all his cows - he has a massive herd that are out in the forest all year. Goodness knows what he did with them.

Foot and mouth only affects cloven hooved animals, so pigs, sheep, goats, cattle, & deer. Maybe llamas & alpacas? But certainly not horses.

Foot and mouth only affects cloven hooved animals, so pigs, sheep, goats, cattle, & deer. Maybe llamas & alpacas? But certainly not horses.
And of course we've got the lot all around here - not 100 yards from where she went through the gate is a small farm with goats and sheep.

I hope she was prosecuted.
If I remember rightly she was fined, but only heard that through chinese whispers. Actually have literally never seen her out riding since. I didn't know who to inform, and ended up calling the agister, and apparently other people had reported her too. It just grates, doesn't it, when one follows the rules, then have to watch others flouting them. Interesting though to know horses aren't affected - NR forum - fun AND educational!;)

Reactions: carthorse
All four of which had been vaccinated within the last 6 months interestingly.
It's likely mutated.
My vet is inundated with calls from people wanting to vaccinate. I think it takes a week to get into the system fully.
Mine is done with that strain, so just have to sit tight and wait.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I think from reading the article the four new cases didn't show any clinical signs so they probably would never have known they were carrying flu if it wasn't for the swabbing program being undertaken.

According to the information on the AHT website -

"Vaccinated horses may show no signs of flu themselves but are still able carry the influenza virus around and pass it on to other horses. For this reason vaccination protocols for companion ponies and older horses should be carefully considered: even if they don’t leave the yard themselves they can be infected by other vaccinated horses who do travel."

I didn't realise that vaccinated and outwardly healthy horses could transmit the disease so easily so I stopped Jack's flu jabs a couple of years ago since he doesn't go anywhere. I've decided to restart them when the vet visits tonight. I think I might be succumbing to scare mongering but I can't bear the thought of him getting really ill.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I think from reading the article the four new cases didn't show any clinical signs so they probably would never have known they were carrying flu if it wasn't for the swabbing program being undertaken.

According to the information on the AHT website -

"Vaccinated horses may show no signs of flu themselves but are still able carry the influenza virus around and pass it on to other horses. For this reason vaccination protocols for companion ponies and older horses should be carefully considered: even if they don’t leave the yard themselves they can be infected by other vaccinated horses who do travel."

I didn't realise that vaccinated and outwardly healthy horses could transmit the disease so easily so I stopped Jack's flu jabs a couple of years ago since he doesn't go anywhere. I've decided to restart them when the vet visits tonight. I think I might be succumbing to scare mongering but I can't bear the thought of him getting really ill.
I think it's the same as rainscald isn't it. That a horse can be a carrier and be fine, but the susceptible horse gets it?

Our yard on now on lock down for one week.

But lessons carry on as normal which means people with horses bring their kids they could carry on to the yard

newrider.com