Equine Insurance...Has anybody used E&L?

Emily_Kent

Jul 21, 2009
Hello,

I am just about to take on my first horse, a retired racer. I am looking around for insurance and have heard horror stories of companies not paying out.

Obviously I want the best cover for my horse but I also want to save money where I can, and ensure that if he does have a accident or become ill then the company will pay out.

I am looking at the following-

Petplan Equine
KBIS
E &L

Has anybody used them or have any other advice?

Thanks, Emily

Ive bin advised not to use E&L as they take some time to pay out or they dont even bother. Alot of people on here have recommended me NFU.
L&L x

Please, please, PLEASE do not insure with E&L!

They are an absolute nightmare.

A friend of mine had insurance with them and when her horse needed treatment at an Equine Hospital, she was told that she would have to pay the bill up front and then recoup the money herself from E&L. None of the big Equine Hospitals, and a lot of vets wont deal with them.

My friend had to get a £3k bank loan to pay for her horse's treatment (colic surgery) and then spent EIGHTEEN MONTHS trying to get the money back from E&L.

I'm with Petplan and although they are not the cheapest by any stretch of the imagination, when I claimed for my lad's ringbone 4 years ago, I just sent the vet's bill to them and they paid up straight away.

You get what you pay for, to be honest and in my opinion it isnt worth skimping a few quid each month when you may need it.

Well I have been insured with E % L for 8 years; My pony had to have an operation, they paid up 6 weeks after; Ok so I did make it clear that I would not be messed about! ( I used to work in Credit Control :))

I have phoned them on several occasions and they have been nothing but polite to me; I do know other people have had problems though. You just have to be tough with them.

They are by far the cheapest; I have three, so money is tight for me; However if I could afford to go with NFU I would.

When I first owned a horse I used E&L but I have never claimed from them. I have heard they are very difficult to get money from. My vet centre will not have any dealings with them, if I need the insurance to pay for anything I have to pay the vet then make the claim to E&L myself. I know they are cheap but they are not a wise choice to go with.

I like Petplan although they are pricey and I've heard good things about NFU.

When looking for insurance for our lot I phoned my vet for recomendations, they were best all round insurance, quick payout NFU [who are now with]
E & l were advised that they are slow at paying out, and would try and wriggle out of claims
Petplan We stopped using them as premiums kept goin up and up , but level of insurance kept coming down

they didnt pay out on my claim when my horse had to have eye removed through having a tumour . 2 friends also had nightmares with e&l. try petplan or nfu

i use E&L and have for 5 years. You have to be very blunt and persistant with them and let them know you will not be messed about - i understand some people find this hard and isnt the best way to deal with companies,but i have no problem with doing it and they have been fine.

By far, the best (and cheapest) insurer's I have ever had are Julie Andrews Horse Insurance Services.

Extremely competitive rates and I have had 2 claims with them, both paid very promptly with no problems whatsoever.

Much cheaper than NFU, Petplan etc and they do pay out in my experience. (Also many other people on another forum have had the same good experiences).

I wouldn't touch E&L with a bargepole

You can get them to pay out (I know people that have) but it isn't worth the hassle IMO. If your horse is ill/hurt why give yourself the extra stress of worrying if the insurance will pay out and having to be on the phone every 5 mins hassling them.

I use NFU - but have never claimed

Ditto the others really. Avoid E&L like the plague!

I used to have Dolly insured with NFU but they were a PITA to pay out for her ligament injury and gave me £50 as a "Goodwill gesture" when her actual bill was nearly £500 :mad: Was not amused and switched to KBIS who so far have been brilliant!

I've phoned several times for advice and to change insurance values for the ponies, home address when I moved house, etc and they always confirm everything on the phone AND in writing which is very reassuring.

HAve heard the same about E & L. I insured my horse with them when I first had him but then lots of people recommended Shearwater so am now with them. They are very reasonable, certainly cheaper than Petplan and offer the same cover.

E and L wouldnt pay out to us after my pony had a bad absess we had to sell her in the end due to the fact!! We now have petplan for my 4 horses and all ** dogs too they seem to be good so far and send loads of magazine things which keep me entertained ;)

My horse was insured with e&l before i bought her and i was reccomended to use them by the lady i bought her off. HOWEVER my local vet ( peter venton) refuse to deal with e&l and obviously..... my vet to me is more important than an isnurance company who dont pay out. so im with petplan :)

I'm with Petplan.

Got landed with a 4,300 bill for colic surgery (plus 250 quid vet call out) last year. I had a 500 excess to pay but the insurance paid the rest direct to the RVC directly and sent me a letter saying it had been paid. My premium shot up last year:eek: but it made me realise how important it is to be with a good insurance company when it comes to animals at least! My kitten is also insured with them.

newrider.com