Equus Health Summer Shine

emma314

Jan 3, 2002
Cornwall, UK
At the moment, Frosty is on the recommended amount of Equus Health Summer Shine with a large handful of Happy Hoof. She is barefoot so I want to make sure her hooves are strong and healthy. However, I'm sure that I'm not feeding enough Happy Hoof to contain a significant amount of biotin. Therefore, I was wondering if it might be better to switch to Dengie Hi Fi Lite, a broad spectrum vit supplement and biotin.

I do like the Equus Health supplement though as it's completely natural and she seems to love it! She might be a bit more fussy about eating just a handful of plain chaff! I just don't know if it contains all the vits/mins she needs.

Any ideas?

What are her feet like? Do they actually need supplementing? My cob is barefoot and i don't give him a single supplement for his feet- he is on the summer shine but just because it gives him the garlic and things to help his coat and he loves it!
My farrier says that if the feet are good they don't need supplements, products etc and feeding bitoin takes a long time to actually start to work on the feet.
Even if you switched to hi-fi vits and mins and biotin you could still give the summer shine- it's not a vit and min supplement just garlic, linseed, seaweed etc so no problem giving that with everything else!
I would be tempted to say if she is happy, healthy and her feet are ok then keep her as she is although a broad spectrum vits and mins is never a bad thing and makes up for what the grass lacks- i tend to give this more in the winter though if at all!

Thanks for the info :) Her feet aren't actually too bad. She has quite flat soles (not been barefoot too long) but that's not going to be improved by feed anyway, just exercise. The condition of her hoof wall is pretty good. I've got a new trimmer out next week so might ask her advice too, see if she thinks she needs any extra biotin. I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs as the grazing she's on isn't the best but didn't want to give her too much of certain minerals by feeding the Equus Health. It is good stuff though, Frosty loves it too!

newrider.com