essential first aid items

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
what are the essential first aid items when out doing endurance and such.

so far i have-
vet wrap,
bandage tape,
gamagee.
plasters,
antiseptic spray (either purple spray or savlon spray),
errmm, then my mind goes blank

In my show first aid kit I have:

Vet wrap
Gamgee
Duct tape
Hibiscrub
Antiseptic cream/spray
Leg ice or chemical ice packs
Latex gloves (your hands are never clean at endurance events :D )
Cotton wool
Clean bucket to put water in for flushing wounds (I keep everything else in this)
Scissors

Do remember at EGB events there will always be a vet and farrier there so you don't have to worry to much :D

J x

no angel

do you mean to carry with you ? don't forget a hoof pick and I tended to carry a knife as well (not 100% sure why, never used it).

For endurance the rider wouldn't carry any first aid, just a hoofpick, as thats what you have crew for (trust me, I always get to be crew :D )

yes, to keep in my saddle bag for when we are out.
i have a folding hoof pick i use, thank god i took it with me the other day, maddies hoof boot fell off and i needed my hoof pick to put it back on.

if i were to do endurance i wouldnt have a crew as such, just my mum:D
id be carrying the equipment with me incase she cut herself on route, she also has had a tendon injury in the past, im not sure how bad it was but it was enough to finish her racing career. she would have boots on but is their anything else i would need to take with me to support her leg if it went ( a real fear of mine). im thinking of doing le trec and fun rides and stuff aswell,so will carry the stuff with me aswell.

Hmm, I have crewed alone for 2 horses :D it was mad!!
With endurance there are crew points so your crew would meet you enroute and at each point there is an official to count you through so any trouble someone can tell them you horse is lame or what ever and they will send the trail riders and or vet to find you and any minor cuts/scrapes can be delt with at the next crew point - its all about weight for endurance, you don't want any extra, saddle bags are fine if you are going for a leisurely hack but when you are going to be troting for the next 4/5 hours horses tend to get sore from them bouncing around :D

I would definatly take a first aid kit with you to any event but I think to aim to carry it all will be a bit much, even for Trec, there will always be an official around to run and get it for you.

I have a very basic kit that I take when riding at a ranch in montana where the nearest town is 4 hours truck ride away:
antiseptic wipes from boots, string (baler twine to fix broken reins etc), a handy pack of tissues and vasaline.
It all fit into a bum bag (fannypack) and is suitable for either you or horse and weighs almost nothing, if its more serious than that you need to get more help anyway :eek:

J x

newrider.com