Ever So Slightly Annoyed!!

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Horses were supposed to be going out 24/7 after worming over the weekend and we always keep them in from Friday night to Monday morning.

YO announces this morning, weather going to be not good for the next week, so still in at night. Actually, I agreed with her on this point. I know a lot of people do keep their horses out 24/7 whatever the weather, but I don't. If the weather is going to be horrendous, I like mine in at night, in the dry having a nice snooze and thats what he likes as well.

Tonight she announces the weather is not going to be good tomorrow,so they all have to stay in all day tomorrow and tomorrow night as well as tonight.

I was not delighted by this and raised my eyebrows when she told me. She apologised, and for once, I didn't say, thats OK, I completely understand, which I did this morning when she said about another fortnight in at night.

Am very annoyed!!

I did read that the weather is meant to be pretty damm wet ! I guess it saves the fields from being completley trashed and poached so I can understand in one respect if grazing is quite limited as it often is on livery yards.

Oh no thats annoying re the day turn out ... I'm lucky on our current yard in that they never restrict turnout by day ... only by night when they have to be in Oct to April which is fair enough

Hopefully summer will be here soon enough and they can stay out 24/7 in mild weather :)

Yes ours are all in again tonight, but will have some turn out tomorrow whatever the weather, athough if it gets really wet again it will be restricted to time sharing the driest paddocks.

Our water table is so high it isnt taking much rain to get standing water in the fields again, and to be honest we need to give the grass a chance or we will be feeding hay all year.

Its not great though is it? Its half way through May for goodness sake

We to are in 24/7 for next couple of days due to heavy snow forecast !

We also wormed at weekend but they can't go out in winter fields now they have been wormed so have to wait - like it or lump it - until they can go in summer fields

I would have a meltdown if that's the right word if I was on your yard.
Ours is 24.7 all year round turnout with huge purpose build straw bedded barn. If you bring in you do, if not they always have company. YO doesn't bring in over winter. Mine can snooze if she wants in the barn with the hay, or get wet.

We have had wind for the last three days no rain. Is to protect the land because we have 20 acres of winter field they can trash so to speak because it doesn't affect the field we move to.

The weather is still so changeable isn't it.

I think its that annoying time of year. Everyone is itching to get them out but its sometimes just not possible.

I remember once being on a yard like that, it drove me mad keeping the pony in 24/7.

They had around 20 horses and 10 acres of grass, very well managed but a right pain having to keep them in.

Its one of my 'erks' I like mine out every day, whatever the weather so I have to ensure whatever I rent I have plenty of space.

I actually have 'too much grass' atm but I know I will need it come winter or if we have a drought.

It was one of the things that used to bother me on a yard - other people being in control of turnout. It was one of the questions I neglected to ask in depth - with regard to their policy! Ah well...
I have too much grass and space atm - could do with having about 6 more hungry neds to help our pair eat it down!!! I do keep suggesting more horses to OH but his hearing is very selective....

It's things like this that make me nervous of leaving my yard, much as I complain at times about it, we have ample grazing and good fields. I couldn't cope on a place where they had to be stabled for so long and why I will always look for grass livery with a stable and not DIY.

I hope the weather improves so your neds can go out, I can only imagine the frustration your feeling.

Well, they had to stay in ALL day yesterday, having stayed in during the previous night and last night and we turned out this morning.

Tobes was quite impressive - reared, bucked, rolled, cavorted ....!!

Poor horse!

Mine were off field and in small pen 4 half days a week from nov to may except week in feb cos of the rain and saving fields :furious:

Now they are out daily unless very windy as one is a self harmer if gusty strong winds but in at night to keep him settled and thats how I like it lol

We did have 65 mph gales and a weather flood warning here though, so most brought in anyway. It rained solid all day.

newrider.com