Ever taken a BHS exam?

NVQ's

Belle, I have nearly completed my NVQ level 1, but I am also due to retake my Stage one riding on the 6th August. I am using both systems at once!! What level are you up to now?:p

Qwerty - the stage 1/NVQ level 1 is just the basic understanding of horse care and riding. For a copy of the syllabi for the BHS stages go to www.bhs.org.uk They are the organisers of the exams so can give you any advice you need. To take the stage exams you must be a member of the BHS.:D

Mossy - I agree with you point of view about Seritas comment, I think if you are going to pass knowledge onto others successfully you have to be able practice what you preach.

Got my Riding and Road Safety tomorrow (oh help!!!) so got to go!!!

Hello everybody,
Sorry I haven't replied for a while, I've been renovating so the computer has been unplugged!
What I mean by saying you can either 'teach or ride' is that some people have a natural affinity with horses and have that 'feel' when they are riding. 'Feel' is not something that can be taught - it comes with experience and also that something extra special that riders have. I have recently taught a young girl (age 6 or so) who sits on a pony and can ride it instinctively, even though she has never been around horses before - she is what I call 'a natural'.
Yes, of course you have to ride to a certain standard before you can 'teach'. Equally some people have a natural ability to teach, whilst others don't have that empathy with other people. I have worked incredibly hard at my riding, but I didn't have to work that hard at my teaching - I am freelance now and have a wide client base!! However, although I can coax a reluctant horse around a XC course, I certainly don't have the 'knack' that some other riders have. If you have had experience of situations, you can teach well, even if you haven't competed at Hickstead!!
Hope this clarifies what I meant.

newrider.com