Everything happens for a reason!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
After our pair suffering from seperation anxiety to the extent that neither could be ridden or walked out without the other - I have to say, that this last week of Joe being on box rest has actually made me try that bit harder to get things sorted. For the first time I rode Storm ALONE in the school this morning (it snowed on us mind:eek:) and neither of them called to each other, in fact Joe stood cool as cucumber eating his net - only glanced up once! I have persisted for the past week in lunging her - at first it was "interesting" as she was determined to get back to Joe:p! Feeling very positive - I know his leg injury isn't ideal but some good has come out of it. Who knows - maybe next summer I may achieve the dizzy heights of a solo hack whilst he stays in the paddock?!!!!!!:D Just wanted to share. Oh, and she is getting really good on the lunge now too - had a session on Sat morning and she was great, really listening instead of just hurtling round for 10 minutes!!:D

Oh and I just had to add: I am getting my mojo back handling them on the ground, today I managed (trumpet fanfare here please!) to bring them both in from the school (Joe is allowed to have a net with Storm twice a day whilst he's healing). Now I know it doesn't sound much, but it was windy and I had two gates to open and close. AND, I didn't get into a kerfuffle with the leadropes etc!!!!! (Have to admit tho, I did have weak legs afterwards - think I was more anxious than I let on!)

Well done you, I think you should give yourself a huge pat on the back, sometimes we need to separate ourselves from situations to be able to think about it properly. The separation of the pair of them seems to have done you all a bit of good.

Keep up with you and your confidence will grow and grow x

yes, well done from me too! always suprises me what we can do when we get the other options taken away from us. i think we just get stuck in comfort zones dont we???- i know i do

Thanks guys! Am still feeling pleased from my adventure into the school this morning!! I do think sometimes when something happens it forces us to make changes (and sometimes they are for the better). Can't believe I was such a wuss last year about turnout - for some reason it all got on top of me, I just couldn't get my head around the wind and bringing them both in together. Well, whatever it is thats giving me confidence, just hope it continues!!!

Thank you all so much! I even managed a repeat performance today - gosh, I am just getting soooo good at this (head visibly swelling now!)!!!!

A very big well done to you! My old horse also had bad separation anxiety and it got to the point where i'd hack her out (allbeit being a complete battle to get her out of the yard and down the lane) and she'd start to nap, canter sideways, snorting, hollow back etc. so i KNOW how hard it is with horses who have this but it will and can get better, and it can be mentally hard for you too so a big congrats on getting this far :D keep up the amazing work x

A huge well done to you - I find if I overcome one little hurdle then the bigger hurdles swiftly fall like a domino effect - hope this is the case with your 2?:)

Thank you all for your encouragement, I had a lovely time today with Storm as she was turned out in the school and looked bored. So, I thought she might enjoy a "game" with me (we didn't lunge as it was pouring down earlier). Anyway, basically I went in and asked her to do what she does on the lunge and she did it!!! At first she followed me around the school but then I retired to a corner and said "trot on" and she did!!!!!! It was amazing, she looked so pleased with herself and went into canter when I asked!!! What an impromtu "schooling" session we had!!! (Joe however looked disdainful, he could not understand why she was doing any work at all when she didn't have to!!!)

newrider.com