Excitable hacks!

Sparks09

Apr 28, 2009
I take one of our riding school cobs our for a hack every now and then with my friends ex racer. Everything starts fine, then we get on the stubble. I really want her to walk and trot it to slow her down, but the second her foot is on it, I don't have any say over our pace and we end up going flat out gallop up the field. She will always stop at the top though...
Even the ex racer stays in walk the whole way up whilst im galloping.
I sit deep, keep talking to her to slow her down and squeeze/release but she doesn't listen. :rolleyes:
When we get to the second uphill track shes already jogging and being silly on the road and when we get on the track she goes for it again, despite trying to hold her. Shes so light in the mouth in the school, but hacking with or without company shes just so excitable.

Any idea's? We can't really avoid the grass tracks.

Poor thing is probably bored and cannot believe her luck being able to gallop! More hacking should calm things and varying the route. You expecting it too.....
Enjoy as long as it's in a safe area. :D

Do you follow the same route each time? I agree that this may be something that's difficult to deal with unless you have more influence over the horse's routine, or are able to ride out more often. If they were doing it every day they'd soon learn to conserve their energy and listen, it might just be one of those things unfortunately :)

newrider.com