Exciting news and thoughts please...?

Befnee's Hero

Jul 1, 2009
Somerset
.......... I'M PREGNANT !!! :dance: :dance:

Have known for just over a week now after a rather un expected stay in hospital with hyperemesis (severe morning sickness). I am 8 weeks 5 days at the moment, and although waiting till 12 weeks to tell everyone would be ideal my family found out when I was rushed to hospital lol! :frown:

So I'm excited..and a little bit scared trying to adjust to anti sickness pills and eating about 8 times a day - including biscuits at around 12 at night :unsure: OH does enjoy being woken up to my munching....not! haha :sleep:

Both me and OH are over the moon and I think were due in January but waiting for a second scan around 12 weeks (already had one in hospital).

Just coming round to the fact today that actually I should start being serious about things..and whether or not I should be riding? People I work with (all non-horsie) say I definitely shouldn't, and I know it's up to me in the end. I definitely wouldn't be a riding with a bump type, but I'm starting to question whether I should be riding at all????? I'm sooooo confused and now...worried.

I have elected out of bringing the hay in, in July so I am being sensible in that sense. It's just hard trying to stop myself doing all the things I would normally do - like hefting feed bags around lol.

Any thoughts guys... I'm kinda working myself up here!!! :redface:

I don't have any advice to give you, but wanted to say congratulations!!!!

I'm sure other members on here who are more knowledgable about the whole baby thing will be able to give you lots of advice :biggrin:

I think if it was me, I would rather ride and not be stressed, than not ride and be stressed. I think stress is a big cause of misscarriage and as such the risk of riding a sane horse that you know is less than the risk of being overly stressed (or find another way to de stress!)

I would still be at the horses, doing the horses, but Im not sure if I would ride - but then Im used to not riding because of madam having one thing or another wrong!

Thank you Laura 107! I am chuffed to bits.

I definitely won't be giving up being there at the horses, grooming, fussing, feeding...although I may pass on the mucking out hehe.

:dance: CONGRATULATIONS!! :dance:

Am dead jealous - I am SO broody, it's unreal! :giggle:

Obviously the whole riding thing is totally up to you. I *think* I would probably not ride if I were pregnant as I wouldn't want to take the risk - but I suppose one could argue that about driving and where do you draw the line? There's also always the chance of something happening even on the ground - at the end of the day, only you can be the best judge of that. Sorry, not trying to scare just put it all in perspective! :redface:

I guess beyond a point you won't be able to ride anyway - imagine trying to mount, swinging your leg over at 8.5 months preggers!!! :giggle:

Huge congratulations!!

Riding...depends on the horse I would say. A slow steady eddie type I would ride in slow work. I was pregnant when I had a fall and broke my back so I'd be quite weary but you know your horse the best.

I hope the morning sickness eases up. With my daughter I could only drink innocent smoothies and have frozen ice lollies for weeks.

congratulations :dance::dance::dance:

it would depend on a number of factors as to whether i would carry on riding -

1- How much i weighed pre pregnancy?
2- Whether i owned a horse or pony? What breed? Could the horse/pony carry me a little bit heavier?
3- How safe my horse/pony was? Ie if it was prone to bucking/spooking easily or whether it was fairly bombproof?

If i was to carry on riding (taking into account the above) then i would only ride til i was 5/6 months pregnant and again this would be dependant on how big my bump was or how much weight i had put on.

Congratulations ! :dance:

It's a personal decision to be made between your OH and you ans it's both your child, and no one else's. Don't let anyone else influence you if you don't want them to.

Personally I always thought I would continue for a little while riding, then would stop. But as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I did stop, as whilst I've never taken a tumble from my horse (yet) I didn't want to run the risk of a tumble and having a miscarriage. I would have blamed myself forever. Or even if I didn't have a miscarriage, I would always be wondering 'What if I have damaged it somehow?' But I was a real worrier in the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy :biggrin:

To me 9 months in the scheme of things, was nothing, we had no intention of selling my horse, care for him was no bother as OH has one so care for the animals was always 50:50. When I brought him, I was trying to conceive anyway and brought a type of horse that was always wanted (easy to do, ride, keep and any one could ride), as I thought that if financially it became to tight, he would go. But I was lucky enough to keep him.

Good luck with the early days, ginger biscuits and having a cracker or two before I got out of bed certainly helped me in the early days with the morning sickness - never again !

Towards the end you just end up feeling fat and fed up lol

PS if you want a decent pregnancy book, I've got one that you can have if you cover the cost of the P&P :biggrin:

Last edited:
I think I have worked myself up into not wanting to ride now during the course of the day...really enjoying getting used to all these new hormones!! ha - ha!

I am lucky that OH rides so I can pawn my little darlings off on to him for the next couple of months for exercise.

Have already decided the hardy ponies will be living out this winter as I will be heavily pregnant by that time and I can't expect OH to muck out 6!.....or can I?? lol no I wouldn't.

Since I found out I haven't ridden mainly because I've been so wacked out and tired but I have the itch to get on. I trust my big boy Hero with my life, but if something happened to my little one I don't think I'd ever forgive myself.

Hmmm still undecided.. think I will probably give it a miss for a while, but then by that time I won't be able to get on because I'll be huge.

Ruskii - Thanks..I could do with all the reading I can get to be honest.. I'm so new at this, and honestly don't know what to expect. If you could quote me for P+P would love the book so I have some clue about what's going on lol!!

Congratulations:dance::dance: pity about the Morning sickness just one of things we have to go through - its worth it in the end - as far as riding whilst pregnant, I think it is personal choice and only you and oH can make it - I know someone who was still showing hers whilst 8 months pregnant - she did
stop workers though!

Congratulations!:dance:

I think it is very much a choice for you and OH about riding. Personally I rode with both my pregnancy up to the due date:redface: - Both were 2 weeks late so did stop for that last 2 weeks. But looking back I have to say I must have been very gung ho about it all - never occured to me that I might fall of and damage baby - I would have been devastated so probably wasnt wise to be still riding.:frown:

Think we are all much more aware nowadays of the dangers etc. and the mishaps that can happen arent we?

Sorry, no advice to offer about riding/pregnancy since I haven't had the experience, but wanted to offer my congratulations.

OOOooooooohhhhh super congratulations :dance::dance::dance::dance:

When i was pregnant i still used to ride my motorbike until i was too big to fit in my leathers. A girl on our yard rode for quite a long time into her pregnancy. It all depends on how bomobproof your horse is I suppose and if you feel comfortable and confident. If you were not sure, you could take a foot soldier with you and just do a bit of light hacking. Probably wouldn't go bombing around or jumping too much. But being pregnant would not stop me from getting on.

Congrats! That is lovely news.

I rode up until i was 6 months pregnant with my daughter, my midwife was all for it as she felt it would help with labour. It's personal preference and everyone is different, i think it's a case of how you feel.

Congrats! That is lovely news.

I rode up until i was 6 months pregnant with my daughter, my midwife was all for it as she felt it would help with labour. It's personal preference and everyone is different, i think it's a case of how you feel.

Congratulations!!!!!! My OH wants a baby... next year hopefully!
My best friend carried on riding for a good while but found she got a lot of stitches and her boobies got vey sore jingling up and down:giggle::giggle:

I know my OH would not let me ride... I fall off too often:redcarded:
And i would play on it when it came to housework, I cant do that :wink::wink:

congrats though x

Congratulations on your news.

When I fell pregnant I wasn't riding horses but I was riding a 125cc twist and go. This is less risky than horse riding but I never rode again once I found out. I also wouldn't have ridden horses.

Whichever way you paint it, riding is a high risk sport (higher risk than the usual ' you're at risk every time you get in a car or cross the road' argument that is commonly put across). I personally get a lot from being with my ponies on the ground so not riding isn't the be all and end all for me.

It's an entirely personal choice though. Maybe those with bombproof steady horses might continue to ride. 8 months of not riding isn't that much to give up IMHO. It's all about risk management rather than actually avoiding all risk and only you and your partner can make the decision on where you draw the line.

Congrats!! For me, I rode up until about 5 months pregnant. However, I was an absolute pig and went from 9 stone to 12.5 stone as I just did not stop eating!! Doctor (who I have had from a child) begged me on a weekly basis to stop eating but I couldn't. As I couldn't do my own shoe laces up, think horse was very pleased I stopped riding! Baby was 7.5 pounds rest was fat!! But don't worry, as long as you breast feed, weight will just drop off you. I am now 43 and back to just over 9 stone and I swear it was the breast feeding - but baby is now 14!

newrider.com