Expanding Xavier's horizons.... But not quite in the way I had anticipated

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I am taking him for a little road trip tomorrow. Have hired an indoor arena and am taking him and Oscar. Don't know if he will load. Don't know if he will cope particularly well with somewhere new. But only one way to find out!

Reactions: Ruskii
Hope it goes well. The little fella has come on so well, he may surprise you. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Reactions: chev
Like you said there is only one way to find out, hopefully he will settle straight away and it won't be a issue, but if it is then it will be good experience for him. x

Change of plan..... One of the teenagers who works at the yard during weekends has made an offer for Xavier. She wanted to ride him after lessons ended just to make sure she really did want him so we cancelled the indoor booking so she could ride. And yes she does want him.

I am now facing a huge dilemma: She is perfect. She is a soft, quiet and very effective rider. In fact she is the person I asked to look after Xav and Cally over the summer when I was away for 2 weeks as I really trust her. She fell for him then and when she heard I might be open to selling she came to find me. She is doing her BHS stages now and is on course for becoming an AI next year. She is already fully grown (I assume at 19!!) so won't outgrow him. If I don't sell to her, then I am basically accepting he is ours forever. Or until the girls outgrow him anyway. I won't find a better home for him. But the twins are distraught. I don;t know what to do.

You always meant to rehabilitate him and sell him. I am sorry the twins have another pony change to get used to but they do have Oscar, and who knows, another pony could come along soon! I think you should let him go.

If he stays on the same yard it might make it easier for the twins...

Reactions: KP nut and Ruskii
I hate selling and am of the opinion of the better the devil you know than one you don't, however it depends how confident the twins are with him cause as a child gaining confidence and being safe is paramount. All I will say is the girl must of seen potential in him to offer to buy him, yes he's a work in progress but how much would the finished article cost? Tbh if the girls love him and you feel he's safe for them I'd hang on to him for now, only cause there are plenty of unsafe ponies out there. It all depends if your thinking of buying another pony. Sorry, I know I've probably confused you more. x

You always meant to rehabilitate him and sell him. I am sorry the twins have another pony change to get used to but they do have Oscar, and who knows, another pony could come along soon! I think you should let him go.

If he stays on the same yard it might make it easier for the twins...

I agree with this.
Also, if your plan is to bring on horses and sell them on, then the twins will have to get used to it! Not easy I know though.

@tikkitti I am not planning to buy another at the moment. I never planned to have 3 long-term until the girls were able to look after their own independently. At the moment I have to ride all 3 of them: Oscar because he is a handful at times and needs schooling, Cally because only I ride her and Xav because he is still green as grass. Xav was a project - I only bought him because I felt sorry for him and it has been hugely rewarding bringing him on, but I don't really want 3 if I'm honest.

I would consider 1 each for the girls if they could do everything themselves, and I never rode their ponies. But that isn't realistic for Xav for the forseeable future.

@squidsin I do love training them, so having a series of projects is one way of doing that.... I guess I never expected Xav to be quite so lovely! I

Reactions: squidsin
If your not planning on replacing him I would probably let him go then and concentrate on Cally and Oscar over winter, then in summer who knows another project may come along. You obviously enjoy bringing them on and you can't keep every project pony, and at least you could see Xav flourish with you being at the same yard. You could take Cally and Eta-Oscar to indoor events over winter, sometimes the best projects come to you as you found with Xav:) the twins will be attached to him but they should feel proud to of been involved in his new start. :) x

Last edited:
Reactions: squidsin
Oh what a tough decision for you. It does seem rather as though fate has brought Xav and the teenager together (via you) and it sounds as though Xav couldn't have found a more perfect match. I mean, that was everything you wanted when you took him on wasn't it? A bit more difficult now emotions are involved - especially your little girls'. I wish you luck with your decision!

@squidsin I do love training them, so having a series of projects is one way of doing that.... I guess I never expected Xav to be quite so lovely! I
It would be strange if you hadn't got attached - the girls too. But I think you have to look at this as objectively as possible. Tough decision though.

newrider.com