Extreme Mustang Makeover Challenge

tngcas

Jun 13, 2007
I was wondering if anyone had heard about the "Extreme Mustang Makeover Challenge." My trainer (Kitty Lauman, www.laumantraining.com) has been chosen as one of the trainers to participate in the program. I guess they get a mustang from the BLM and then they have three months to train the horse from completly wild to rideable, then they take the horse to Texas for a big competition. Only 100 trainers were chosen to participate out of 220. Sounds like it could be a really cool project. Its being put on by the mustang heritage foundation. She has worked a lot of mustangs in the past so I think she will be able to do it, but I wonder how some of the other trainers who haven't worked mustangs will fare.

Unlike some previous competitions of this type it doesn't seem too unfair on the horses on the face of it. Three months seems a reasonable length of time and I daresay the whole idea is to publicise and encourage people to adopt them, far better than the alternative.

I also really like the idea of giving the trainer 3 months with the horse. Let us know how she does.

That's great! We bought a spanish mustang last November. His parents came from the BLM but he was born and raised on a ranch. The right trainer makes all the difference. Ours was very skeptical and had never brought on a mustang before. She made us promise to send him back if she felt he couldn't be trained! He had never been under saddle when we got him, and he went to his first H/J show with our 12 year old daughter a couple of weeks ago. He loves to jump, his lead changes are nearly automatic and he has the cutest trot.

Mustangs are a fantastic breed. Super sturdy and smart. So far, ours is a good boy and seems to choose the path of least resistance, kind of the "it's just easer to be good" philosophy. But he likes to be ridden correctly and gets mad if you don't. He's like a big puppy dog and has been a terrific partner for our daughter, they are really learning together.

newrider.com