Eye issues in wind

Guernsey 2020

Feb 13, 2021
Hello all,

Has anyone ever had issues with their horses eye becoming iterated in the wind?

Occasionally I will arrive at the stable and my horse has his eye half closed, there is usually no or little watery discharge.

The vets have attended twice in a six month period and provided eye drops and are happy there is nothing more going on (scratch etc)

Thank you.

Hello and welcome :) . No, never had that with either of mine. They've had slight eye infections from time to time, but not due to the wind.

I've seen this and silly as it sounds an easy and effective solution is to put a fine mesh fly mask on. The mesh offers protection from the wind.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I've seen this and silly as it sounds an easy and effective solution is to put a fine mesh fly mask on. The mesh offers protection from the wind.
I have done this, ales eyes were sensitive after an injury had healed (just a small ulcer vet confirmed it was fully healed) so I put a fly mask on whenever it was forecast to be windy. Helped alot. He's hasn't needed it recently

Reactions: Huggy
We can get it here sometimes, it’s really sandy and strong summer winds can whip it up in your face. I tend to bathe around the eye to remove any external dust etc. and pop a fly mask on, but if in 12 hours the eye is still partially closed I’d be thinking there’s more going on and calling the vet, even dust in the eye can cause an ulcer which won’t be visible to the naked eye without staining.

Yes, my horse has come in with an eye half shut about a handful of times over the years. It has never lasted more than 24 hours and the eye has been back to normal the following day.

newrider.com