Eye rubbing

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Jess has started rubbing her eyes, she looks like she’s wearing eye shadow because she’s rubbed the fur off her top lids and by the outer corners.

It’s both eyes so I’m not thinking injury, I guess allergy but I’m not sure quite what to think.

I can’t see any sign of lice or bug bites, nothing in her ears, no squinting or excessive blinking, she does seem all over a bit itchy, she’s been rolling more than normal, tell me it couldn’t be the new haylage I’ve got her on?

I’ll bathe them with cold tea tomorrow and I’ve got the vet on Tuesday anyway if need be.

What about cataracts. Do you think her sight could be affecting her.
No, theres no hint that her eyesight isn't totally normal and the eyes themselves look completely normal, she's just rubbing them....I assume as the hair is gone, I haven't actually seen her itching her eyes specifically.

Chloe has been known to look as though she's wearing eyeliner and kohl. When that happens it seems to come from nowhere and disappear as fast as it happens. I just assumed she's rubbed them, I've never actually seen her doing it so it must be during the night or when I'm not there during the day. I think from memory it happens more in the summer though, so could even be flies annoying her.
However, this doesn't help you! I hope hers stop itching - seems odd. Could it be linked to the new hayledge? Or just a coincidence???? If you've got the vet coming anyway obviously you can ask them. I hope they can cast some light on it.

Reactions: Jessey
I noticed it start a couple of weeks ago @Trewsers, I didn’t think much of it and just figured it was from the warm wet days and bugs being about, but I’d really expected it to clear up as you say, but it still seems to be getting worse.

Reactions: Trewsers
Golden eye ointment from chemist is good if it's a minor infection - always worked on my two

Reactions: Jessey
F9A24F2C-8B1D-470B-AC79-AA96E5E0924A.jpeg

Hmm I think the culprit is coming to light, she’s now bumpy under the fur around her forelock and hair now coming out in clumps, guessing @Ale had the right idea and it’s a bit of rain rot. Didn’t hibi her tonight as it’s meant to be -4c but will take some warm water down in the morning to do it.64E60A60-A79D-477A-86AC-67CF87F6A3C7.png

Finally got to hibi her face this morning, she normally really dislikes face washing but was very good about it, I’m sure she always knows when you’re doing something to help her
652B28D0-6445-444D-9E1F-18E36CABAB06.jpeg

newrider.com