Failed vetting and back to the drawing board

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
Sadly, the lovely horse I had vetted on Monday showed up some unexpected issues at the vetting. The vet said there was a hint of him being unsound on his right hind in the trot-up, which was more obvious in the flexion test and the trot circle on hard ground. I could see for myself he wasn’t 100% on the circle so we stopped the vetting there. Such a shame as I’d felt no suggestion that he wasn’t right when I’d ridden him previously – but I suppose the purpose of the vet’s examination is to bring out any subtle problems.

His owner was understandably very upset, and I think she now intends to keep him, which in the circumstances is a good outcome.

So, I am looking again – very disappointing, as I liked everything about this horse. But it's too big a risk for me to buy a not-quite-right one.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Sadly, the lovely horse I had vetted on Monday showed up some unexpected issues at the vetting. The vet said there was a hint of him being unsound on his right hind in the trot-up, which was more obvious in the flexion test and the trot circle on hard ground. I could see for myself he wasn’t 100% on the circle so we stopped the vetting there. Such a shame as I’d felt no suggestion that he wasn’t right when I’d ridden him previously – but I suppose the purpose of the vet’s examination is to bring out any subtle problems.

His owner was understandably very upset, and I think she now intends to keep him, which in the circumstances is a good outcome.

So, I am looking again – very disappointing, as I liked everything about this horse. But it's too big a risk for me to buy a not-quite-right one.

Aw how disappointing but as you say, for you personally too big a risk - the right one (and sound one completely) will come along.

Aw how disappointing but as you say, for you personally too big a risk - the right one (and sound one completely) will come along.

Thanks Trewsers. I won't be able to have more than one horse, because I'll need to keep mine on full livery and can't afford two, so I want to try my hardest to get the right one!

I had a message from my mum this morning saying "stop whatever you're doing and call about this horse right now!" So I did, and now have another viewing lined up on Sunday.

always a horrible disappointment when they fail the vetting - but then that is the purpose of it - to save ourselves a lot of money loss and heartbreak further down the line. good luck for Sunday :)

Reactions: Feawen
when I bought Molly I rode a lovely tb who I thought was great, when we vetted him, he was very lame, clearly been buted up for the viewings. I wanted to buy him but vet made me walk, said you don't buy a car with three wheels. You may get punctures later on but at least you are prepared.

Again when I bought Buddy the first horse Shelley failed the vetting miserably. I didn't even bother to vet buddy, he was sound as a pound and I knew what he was i.e. lots of folks knew of him, so I took a chance on him.

I never had chunky vetted but I sort of knew a bit about him. When I was looking for a second horse I had one vetted and it failed due to slight lameness. I found out a while later that the owner sent him to someone to bring back into work rather than selling it, and horse went very lame. Xrays showed abnormalities in the foot. Horse was pts. So heart breaking as it was for me, and like you i said to the vet at the time what if i offer less money, he immediately said it's not about the money if the horse ain't right it could cost you a fortune. You ask my opinion via a vetting. Well he was right about that. The horse would have cost me a fortune.
The right one will show. Just dont rush it.

also molly passed a 5 stage vetting age 6, and we retired her age 9, as she just couldn't cope with work. she lived in retirement till 26....

• Sad
I'm sorry to hear that so many have also had failed vetting experiences. And relieved you all found the right horse - the search is feeling endless! It's worse than online dating.

I have a few more potential options lined up:

- One is beautiful but might be rather hot, so I'll have to judge for myself in person
- Another is also stunning but from his owner's description is green and somewhat sensitive/anxious, so again there's a personality match question that I won't be able to answer until I meet him
- The third is a smart little horse, without the obvious looks and ability of the other two, but is clearly a kind soul who has been a family friend

newrider.com