Fair Price?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What would you consider a fair price for grass livery (on 2 acres) with use of an indoor school on site?

The place is run down, currently there are no fences and the ragwort has run wild, but they will be doing the place up. I would take in my own fencing, shelters etc. so it really is just for 2 acres of dirt and use of the school. Possibly at some point I would have water piped to my field and might be able to run mains electric depending on where they stick me on the site, but initially I would have to carry water from the school. They would probably spray my bit when they do the rest, though I would do most maintenance myself (using their equipment if I don't have it).

To give it a bit of context, I currently pay 80/month for 3.5 acres with a big barn on it (and as many horses as I want) and do everything myself. Last yard was 2.5 acres, 3 stables and they paid for fencing, 80/month (as many horses as I want). Yard before that, run down but functional, no grazing (sand turnout paddocks), indoor and outdoor schools, 25 a week full field livery (includes hay, feed & doing them), 25 a week DIY with stable and field, 50 a week full stabled livery (per horse).

Last edited:
Where we used to live that sort of set up would fetch about £50 per week minimum. But I have no clue about other places really. Up here I should imagine would be a lot cheaper. An indoor sounds promising!

Looking at what you currently pay & have paid before I'd say £50 a month, but with scope to go up if they get electricity & water sorted.

Reactions: Jessey
Where we used to live that sort of set up would fetch about £50 per week minimum. But I have no clue about other places really. Up here I should imagine would be a lot cheaper. An indoor sounds promising!
Never! 50 quid a week for grass livery :eek:

I pay 100 4 weekly for diy livery in winter for one. Daily turnout (8am - 3.30/4pm)
No school
Good hacking
Available arenas for hire within hacking distance
Close to various places for competitions/training and easy access to two main motorways.

Sounds like a good thing if you use a school a lot.

Round my way, I would be expecting to pay £100 per month per horse. There is yard very similar that I went to look at recently. There was no indoor school but a big outdoor school. No electricity but had running water. No stables or field shelters and the liveries were responsible for the fencing. The fields were shared though and there was no way each horse had 2 acres. More like half an acre per horse. With Jess and your 2 minis then perhaps a deal could be struck at £150 pcm? We are much closer to London than you, but I wouldn't expect to pay much less than that.

I pay £37 per week (£160 per month) for one horse in a 1 acre field with water. Would be £45 per week if I wanted to use the school.

My mum calls me frugal, but after looking at these prices I've decided I'm just stingey :D and I'm OK with that!

The local 'horse heavan' yard (nestled in the forest/no roads, 2 schools, big acreage that's well looked after, horse Holidays etc) is only 30 a week DIY with a stable. The posh-est yard around here is £45 a week DIY, indoor, outdoor, horse walker etc. :p

I'm not really prepared to pay over £50/acre/month with water if I'm fencing it. If it were sheep grazing they'd only get £100/acre/year around here. It's how much is the school worth on top of that? For the boys probably nothing, and Jess may or may not cope with much schooling, it is a big 30x60m but still questionable. They also plan to rent the school out a lot and I'll be having to work around everyone else. I feel like £150 is fair but I'm going to try my luck at £120 (just shy of £30 a week), cheeky perhaps but you've got to try these things right ;)

Hmmm around here..
Full grass livery is... 35 pw. With adlib hay ,shelter,stable if needed checked on x 2 daily.
There is another grass livery place 15 pw. No leccy. Stables look like they would blow away in the wind... is one of the worst yards around here.
Diy the very basic your looking 80 to 100pm. Thats litrally field and stable.
Posher yards for diy your looking anywhere from 30 to 40 per week. 2 school, good hacking etc
Part is anywhere between 60 and 70 pw.
Full is 80-100 pw

newrider.com