Fallen in love with Icelandic horses

horsemad

Jul 16, 2001
Belfast, N. Ireland
Visit site
I am just back from the most amazing trip to Iceland, and I have completely fallen in love with the country, and with those amazing Icelandic horses :D

I don't think I've ever had so much fun on a horse - they are so different from any other horse I've encountered. Wally gave me an indication of what to expect, and I have to say she was exactly right about their temperaments and their way of going.

On the ground, the ones I saw were the most sweet natured, friendly, docile big puppy dogs :D But once on board....oh my goodness :eek: I have never sat on such an energetic horse - they are so forward-going and active. Even the walk is very active - like it is just about to burst into trot or tolt at any minute (couldn't be more different from the long-striding plod of my darling ISH!)

The tolt took some getting used to - a very different sensation from any other gait, and I wasn't quite sure how to follow the movement. I couldn't really work out what was happening under me sometimes because it felt so different. On one of the horses I rode I found it quite bouncy at times when we were doing the tolt - I found out afterwards that it was pacing as well as tolting. At the end of the day (6 hours riding) I was a bit sore...but not my legs, as would be the case riding an 'ordinary' horse - but my back, neck, and very oddly, my jaw (!) were sore :rolleyes:

The horse I had on the last day was amazing - she had the most fantastic smooth tolt and it felt fantastic. Again, though, she was mixing her paces up sometimes - we got the odd canter stride mixed in with the tolt. For those who know about Icelandics - is it usual for horses to mix their gaits like this? Or was it something I was doing? It is a quite different style of riding, and I wasn't quite sure if I was doing it properly. All I did know was that this horse felt very 'springy' but balanced, her head was up quite high and I was able to keep a good contact and sit deeply in the saddle without bouncing. An amazing feeling!

Even when it got a bit 'exciting', my wee horse was fantastic. We were doing a fast tolt and one of the other horses surged foward and its rider fell off. With all the commotion, the rest of the horses also speeded up - and my horse overtook the lead horse. So I was heading down a track at speed, with no-one in front of me. Strangely for me (nervous nelly type!), I didn't go into panic mode when this happened. It might have been because her tolt was so smooth I felt quite secure in the saddle even though we were going fast. And luckily my lovely horse was looking after me because she stopped when I asked her, the rider got back on his horse and we all set off again :)

What wonderful horses they are - I'm so jealous of any of you out there who have Icies :D Mind you, from what I've seen, I don't think I'd be able to handle one on my own. They seem to be very sharp, quick moving horses - and I reckon if you were on your own and one decided to take off....well, you could still be going several miles later!

Last edited:
Why should they take off? If you are the team leader they will trust you and do exactly what you say. They HATE not belonging to a herd. This is where some folk, who have bought Icelandics, have come unstuck. They do not lead thier horse and as a consequence the horse feels insecure and wants to get back to a herd where he knows he has a place. They are very, very loyal, sharp and clever. Leadership is the key with Icelandics.

You were getting pace creeping in most likey because you were not keeping the horse balanced in that gait. If you let him fall on his forehand he will drop into trot, most likely. Piggy pace, as it's called crops up for similar reasons, you didn't have the tölt balanced.

This is the beauty of the Icelandic over rough terrain. A horse who is compelled, through breeding, to trot, walk, canter and gallop, is forced to move his legs in a certain order, he can't do othewise. The Icelandic has no such constraints, if he gets into trouble he is not stuck with placing his legs in a fixed order, he can come up with any mixture of gaits to get him over rough ground and stop him falling if he trips.

Just wanted to say that I understand the "falling in love" bit. We have had our Icelandic three months now and are still learning, but they are a lovely breed.
I think Wally mentioned on another thread - there are all kinds of Icelandics - some very sharp and exciting, some very laid back and all kinds inbetween.We got ours because he is a mature horse, well trained, used to children and with quite a gentle character. If you end up with a young competition horse, then that would be something else............ I guess its horses for courses like with all breeds.You need to match your experience and needs to the right horse.
My understanding of tolt is that the horse needs a level of fitness to manage it, and also some work to come onto the bit and work from his rear end. I was told that tolting down a gentle slope can help in the early stages.
I think its quite hard sometimes to tell between tolt and piggy pace but I think I am beginning to get the idea!
One good thing is that all the Icelandic enthusiasts seem very happy to share their knowledge and expertise - invaluable I would say.
Good luck if you decide to pursue it any further.

ooh how lovely, I'm going on a day trek on an Icelandic in just over a month and really can't wait, feel like a child before xmas !! do you have piccies ?

Piggy pace makes your boobs wobble, tölt doesn't :D :p :D :D

Yup, seriously, tölting down a hill helps the tölt, and to help the trot, try it up hill or through deep sand or long grass.

Wally said:
Why should they take off? If you are the team leader they will trust you and do exactly what you say.

You were getting pace creeping in most likey because you were not keeping the horse balanced in that gait. If you let him fall on his forehand he will drop into trot, most likely. Piggy pace, as it's called crops up for similar reasons, you didn't have the tölt balanced.

Well, that makes sense :D I suppose I am just thinking here of what it is like with my own horse, who is quite a bossy mare and likes to take charge at every opportunity - I think in our relationship, she is team leader most of the time!!

Yes, that is probably true about me not keeping the horse balanced on the second day. On the third day, I thought I was getting the hang of it more - I tried to copy the lead rider, keeping my weight further back, really sitting deep in the saddle, and keeping a good contact on the reins - and this is when I got the most fantastic comfortable tolt. I only wish I could have had a chance to do more of it, since I was just starting to get into the way of it! I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable and 'at one' with a horse. :D I think the size and shape of the horse (surprisingly narrow - I'd expected them to be more stocky in build) and the dressage type saddle helped too - I found I could really sit deep in the saddle and stretch my legs down long. Not so easy to do this with my short legs round my 16hh barrel-shaped horsey :D

I do have pics, but unfortunately not digital ones, and don't have access to a scanner, so don't think I'll be able to post them here :(

It wasn't actually a riding holiday I was on, but I did do a lot of riding when I was there - 2 hours at Ishestar on the first day, full day ride at Eldhestar on the second day and 3 hours at Ishestar on my last day.

Amandal - I guarantee you will have THE best day ever!:D :D

newrider.com