Falling as an older rider

Chile Pepper

Pumpkin
Mar 31, 2005
Chile
I hardly ever post in this section (don't really post much at all), but I have been having some doubts that only "mature riders" can address. I am 41, and I started riding nine months ago. I take two to three lessons a week (mostly private, with an hour to an hour and half of riding). I feel that I have made real progress, although there is plenty of room for improvement (position, hands). I am not a nervous rider--I really look forward to my lessons.

My doubts involve falling. I have only fallen off twice, but both falls resulted in injuries (dislocated elbow, broken foot). I have always assumed that falling off was (a) something that was bound to happen on occasion and (b) generally no big deal. Are the injuries simply inevitable with an aging body? Or have I simply had bad luck in how I've landed? Is there a "better" way to fall? The last time I fell, it was from a canter, and i was on the ground almost before I realized I was off the horse--so I don't see how I could adjust my falling position. This is really making me question the wisdom of continuing, as I much as I love it. My husband has gone so far as to suggest I take up driving shetlands! What is your experience with falls, and how do you manage the risk?

I'm 47 and have been quite lucky in that although I've had a few falls, I've never been seriously injured (touches wood!!) I've had a fractured finger, twisted muscles, sprains, etc. I do find, however, that as I get older I'm not as fearless as I was when I rode as a child. I'm afraid we don't bounce as well!

ANN H said:
I'm afraid we don't bounce as well!

That's exactly what worries me. If I could just fall once and not require medical attention, I would probably feel better about the situation. Not that I'm trying to fall off...

7 falls make a good rider?

I once heard that the jockeys say that if you've fallen at least 7 times you're on your way to being a good rider. Also in the racing year they expect to fall off at least 7 times!!
I am afraid it is part of the game, like getting dirty, cold and wet!:eek: I think you have been unlucky though to have broken bones your first two falls. I have had a few baddies but I can remember getting right back on again, except for a couple of times when I couldn't. Nothing is more important to me than riding and the only thing I can think of when I hurt myself is:- 'how long will it be before I can ride?'
I am not super duper brave either but I just love to ride. GOOD LUCK!

I reckon severity of fall is more a factor of individual circumstances than the age you are. e.g. How fast you are moving, whether you fall onto a soft school surface etc. etc.

I would say that you will fall less as you get more experienced (unless you match that to doing more risky activities like XC! :eek: ). So for instance..... I injured myself as a teenager more than I have as an adult because I was a worse rider and more willing to ride daft horses. As an adult I've only had knocks and bruises [I'm touching wood as a I type, here] which I think is because I've got a better seat now, and ride more reliable horses :)

So nope, I don't think age isn't a factor in falling off. Just do everything you can to address the risks we all face. Make sure the stirrups are correct size for your boots, and preferably safety stirrups (don't wait for the school to look at them for you!). Wear a body protector. If you think a particular horse/activity is beyond your "safe" ability don't feel obliged to do it. Oh, and if you're going to go over the shoulder (my usual route) try and break the fall by briefly wrapping your arms around the neck, thus stopping yourself falling head first ;)

Try not to worry about getting injured when you come off - I think you have just been unlucky. I have lost count now of my falls (maybe 15 +) and I have only been properly injured, requiring medical treatment, once :) Other than that, I have sprained my wrist and a finger and just been bruised and sore for a few days!

I'm 46 and lets face it, we could slip on the ice, trip over the dog etc and brake something - we may as well be having fun :)

I was 43 when I put my leg over a horse for the frist time, I have had several falls, 2 of which I don't remember much about. The last is where I got broken, pretty good. Many bumps, bruises and a fracture collar bone. I tell people, that I broke more than my collar bone when I hit the ground. My confidence took a big hit. That was 5 years ago. I took a year away from horses. To the point if my husband didn't go out to feed I may not of gone, I wanted rid of them. My husband started to have me go with him, and then slowly, I started to fall in love again. I don't think anything smells better than a horse. Went out and found me another horse, my size. This is the first year where I really like what I'm doing again. The road back has been hard for me, as well as the trainer that comes to my house. She has pulled many a tricks out of her bag of knowledge to help me.
The bottom line I guess is, for me is this hobbie/ sport comes with risks, as we get older the ground gets harder. You will have to decide what is best for you in the long run.

At 49 my first fall off a horse ever and I broke my collar bone, since then I always wear my body protecter which has helped a lot, the second time I came off was straight over on my injury after I started riding again, shoulder pads helped that time, come off and landed flat on my back a couple of times, protecter stopped me getting winded, 51 now and although confident at riding anywhere I tend not to canter much at all, went out tonight across the fields on my own just as it was getting dark and realised that if I came off and was unconcious I could die from hypothermia as it was very cold and frosty and nobody may find me for hours, I just sqweezed him to canter up a slope and the bugger immedialtely bucked, I decided topick the sensible safe option and not to bother and pulled him up, as I said I am not a nervous rider but I will never be the same again, problem is the older you get the more you see the dangers youngsters dont, sign of getting old :(

This must be a major worry when one starts late - 62 in my case.
Sorry you have had broken bones. Whether this is bad luck or due to your physique we cant really say. It could be either.
Does your doctor say anything about your bone density or other medical risk factors in your case? And have you dared ask?
I didnt dare ask. And everyone was much relieved when I was not injured in my first fall.
Again, your body build is a factor. I am neither overweight nor totally skinny - so am less likely to be injured. A bruised behind perhaps but no fractures. And I wear a body protector too.

There is a way of falling "on purpose" a sort of unintenional controlled dismount, which you will find on this site I think. You lean forward on the neck of the horse and lie flat so your legs will come over. However, you have to know for sure that you cant stay on. As it is not possible to right yourself once you are lying like this. I got off that way once when my horse tripped going down a steep hill (early days) and the instructor thought I had dismounted on purpose.
But most of us when we fall, fall without much notice - just as you say.

What worries me a bit is that you fell cantering. I have fallen when horses spooked or bucked - those unforeseen events which are inevitable from time to time, particularly out hacking. But I have never fallen off cantering or at speed. Perhaps that is why I have never been hurt?
I wonder where and how you are cantering and whether you can adjust your riding to make it safer than it has been to date? I waited to learn to canter properly until I felt safe to do so. About two years after starting. And on days like today when it is high risk - very cold and windy - I am a wimp and dont canter at all.
Riding is a high risk sport. Horses a big dangerous animals. But we older women who love riding can minimise the occasions on which we fall and find a teacher who makes it a priority to reduce the risks for us. I have learned from my present teacher for 18 months now and have never once fallen in one of her lessons or been hurt by a horse at her yard.
Falling is an inevitable part of riding, but should never be accepted as the norm. I have fallen six times in 4 years, but I have only once fallen in a "normal" riding lesson, so your score of twice in 9 months sounds worrying. I think your husband is right to be concerned.

if you get on, you will fall off; I think you have been unlucky to break things. A lot of it is trying not to land on an outstretched arm - if you know you are going, try and ensure you roll.

But I broke my ankle dismounting in an ordinary fashion one day - foot down on uneven ground, thought I'd just twisted it, some hours later I had to get my friend to take me to hospital.

And as someone said, you could slip on ice tomorrow...

Thanks everyone for your replies and support. It's encouraging to hear your perspective.

Skib--both times I fell, it was in the arena during a lesson. Both times, the horse made an unexpected lateral move that sent me off to the side. The first time was in trot (way back in April), and this second time in canter. Since the first fall, I have been riding a horse that is normally very reliable. She's also pretty big (16hh2), which means further to fall, I guess.

Claire H: That's pretty much what my instructor said when I first started--If you don't want to fall off, then don't get on. I told him sure, I don't have a problem with that...

Esther D: What in the world happened with the Shetlands?

You are learning in a very different environment from what I know in the UK. From a friend who rode when her OH was a diplomat, I know that riding and the teaching of riding does vary a lot between countries.
One of the difficulties for us older people is that riding is regarded as a "sport" and progress often measured in set objectives, like being able to canter or jump a certain height. And the status of the teacher is enhanced if they achieve something visible with a student.
I have spent many many hours being taught on the lunge with no discernable progress. My teacher always said her objective was to make me safer out hacking. I dont know how it has been done, but I noticed that these days (two recent spooks), I dont fall off any more if the horse spins 90 degrees. Not sure what would happen if it went round 180 degrees, and have no wish to find out.
It is hard to teach students to sit on spooks, because it would vbe risky to make the horse spook on purpose. I dont think spooks should happen in a school - but those sideways were the first that I experienced and somehow always stayed on. So other people might suggest what you should do if it happens to you again.
But some of us on this list watched mark rashid teach a lady who had been injured in a fall, and he taught her entirely without canter or jarring her injury. He showed that it is possible to create a very low risk situation for yourself , to continue to ride, and to learn a great deal at the same time.

Sounds like you've been very unlucky to have injured yourself both times. I've fallen twice, once in the school and once while mounting :eek: both times stiff and sore but slightly wiser... Luckily I've always had the knack of falling relaxed - I used to fall over a lot as a child :)

Fall in the school was also after an 'odd' lateral move during a transition from trot to walk. Probably wouldn't bother me now but a year on I'm finally beginning to develop some balance and the beginnings of a seat - practise really does help especially if you can ride a variety of horses.

Worst injury I've had happened earlier this year when I slipped on a wet floor and badly sprained the ligaments in my left knee, which completely messed up my riding, so it can happen anytime, anywhere.

I have no particular wish to jump huge fences but probably will try some small jumps and fully expect to find myself sprawled on the floor a few more times, but realistically I just want to be competent and confident enough to enjoy some long hacks out in relative safety.

Vince

Hi Chile Pepper

I have fallen several times since I bought my first horse eight years ago (age 48 now) and i must admit have never really hurt myself beyond stiffness and the sore backside Skib mentions. My last mare did work very hard to get me off and succeeded, which, as I've mentioned in another thread here, did more damage to my confidence than anything else. So, I actually think you did have really bad luck, as you suggest.:)

A warning though, two to three lessons a week was exactly what I was having when I decided, at about the same age as you, that it was time I bought my own;)

cazrider said:
A warning though, two to three lessons a week was exactly what I was having when I decided, at about the same age as you, that it was time I bought my own;)

Hehe--I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind... Even with my current doubts, I am looking forward to be able to get back on, if only to see if I've lost my nerve.

Skib--I don't think it's a country thing. As far as I can tell (from my limited experience), my instructor uses pretty standard training methods. For instance, we started cantering on the lunge, with one hand on the saddle. We also do exercises that I've seen described on this site, like standing in trot and trotting wthout stirrups to work on balance. I'm surprised I haven't fallen during those!

Falling does happen, even with the most careful rider. Eventually you will fall again. You can control the risks, however. Think of it as odds... it'll never be totally zero, but your goal is to make those odds as slim as possible.

I'm 33 and have fibro myaliga, am rather overweight, and have a weak lower back, so I do anything I can to avoid a fall. I understand there's always the chance, but I try to make it as tiny a chance as possible. I've fallen off 3 times in my life, the worst resulting in very painful bruised ribs.

I bought my own horse, and I picked something so quiet, calm, and spook-proof. The most he'll do when really spooked it take a slow step away from it and stand and look. Keep in mind he's also a full draft -- so he's not built for high speed. But sometimes we need to pick a "slow and steady" horse over flashy, fast, agile,etc.

I also avoid things I think are riskier. I don't jump (not my cup of tea anyway). I avoid cantering... I'm never in that much of a hurry to get anywhere anyway, who needs to canter? I learned the sitting trot and my horse has a smooth trot and transitions, so again it does help if you pick the right horse to work with. I also chose a saddle that is english in style but has a broader, deeper seat... and it's unusual because the front is raised enough I can actually grab onto for balance if I get scared.

I know some might think me chicken, but I simply won't get on most horses. One day I might when I'm a better rider and ready for them, but in the meantime there's no shame in saying "no thank you" to your friend's offer.

I found it helpful to not only take weekly lessons but to try out several instructors. I found a wonderful woman who seems to have a real knack for teaching adults. She understands what an adult's fears can do to riding. She's excellent at reminding me if I worry about falling or if I am always tense, I WILL fall because I won't be focused. Sometimes as riders we also don't realise tiny bit of leaning forward or to one side is a recipe for falling. It's important to develop a strong, deep seat and not to lean.

I found it helpful to limit most of my riding to really safe environments. My lessons are in a sand arena with NO clutter, jump stands, dangerous fencing, etc. If I fall I want to land on soft sand, not wood or rocks or anything else. The last time I fell was in this arena on a friend's cantering (runaway) horse... but when I fell I just slid in the deep sand and no suprisingly no harm was done.

In conclusion, I'd say "yes!" keep riding. But just limit your risks: stick to riding slower, smoother horses for now.... find an excellent adult-beginner instructor.... don't be afraid to say no to cantering, steep hills, or trying others horses.... and pick where you ride with safety in mind.

I'm 50 now, and started riding when I was 41. I've actually only come off all the way twice (been shaken loose a few times, but managed to hang on ;-)).

The first time was cantering in a lesson. My lesson horse tripped and fell. She went to the right, and I came off over her left shoulder. It almost seemed to happen in slow motion, and all I could think about was rolling away so she didn't fall on me. I was also worried about the horses behind me not stopping in time to avoid me. I landed on my (helmeted forehead) and my shoulder and did a sort of somersault. I was halfway over the fence before I realized I was fine! My horse was embarrassed, the others all stopped. My helmet was damaged, and I had a few scrapes and an ugly bruise on my thigh where I'd hit the horn of the way off (western saddle). I was a little shaken up, and while I did get back on, I told the instructor I didn't want to canter any more that day, and she was okay with that.

A few months ago, I came off a horse at a hacking center. We started to canter up a hill, which was fine, but then she shifted up a gear and I got scared (just a much bigger, more powerful horse than I was used to). I let myself get too far forward over her neck and couldn't get my weight back to regain my balance. Again, I had time to think about how I was going to fall, and I thought about rolling away from her. It was kind of an emergency dismount, l leaned forward, brought my legs up and pushed away. I landed on my side and rolled over on to my back. Everything would have been fine, except that my head snapped back and hit the ground hard (it was a field, so not pavement or anything). The helmet was cracked up the back, and I had a concussion bad enough to put me in hospital over night. Otherwise no broken bones or injured joints, and not even much bruising.

What I learned from fall #1: $hi! happens, even if you're careful. And always, always wear a helmet.

from #2: Be conservative when hacking out on a strange horse. Skip the cantering, even it it seems like it would be fun ;->.

But in general, I think if you reach the point where you know you're coming off, try to think beyond hitting the ground... I think concentrating on rolling away helped both falls be less serious than they might have been.

Skib said:
... But I have never fallen off cantering or at speed. Perhaps that is why I have never been hurt? ...

:) Don't think lack of speed has anything to do w/severity of injury.

I broke my tailbone almost in half this past spring while walking w/a pony.

Jellybean is a 12.0h pony and he spooked at something and spun his hind end around. Left me sitting, literally, in the air. My butt hit the ground and he is so short my right leg was still 'on board'. Entire weight hit on on little square of hineybone. :D

At 39 I must admit I felt that one a bit more than I might have a couple of decades ago! sylvia

newrider.com