Family tree/history

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
Has any one done this?

Just been doing mine over the last few days, OMG it is so interesting.

I found some lines really easy to follow and others totally confusing.

Just wondered if any one else has had similar results.

I am too sceptical atm to tell the results of mine but can say it is mind boggling

My father did his side of the family, seems we all originated in Canada !

my mothers side are from Ireland, its really interesting when you look into it all. All these people that swan about calling themselves British and complaining about immagration should check their family trees before opening their traps!

My cousin (mum's side) did it and we mostly come from Ireland.

Also turns out I am related to Fletcher Christian! That explains a lot....

I had a definite line all the way back to 1650. All from Derbyshire. Then the name changes and seems to be untraceable. Something to do with the reformation of the church, Guy Fawkes and the war of the roses:eek:

To go any further I have to trawl through a load of stuff in the national archives.

I am too busy atm to go there but it is extremely interesting.

I agree about people saying they are British, people have been coming here from other places since the year dot, England has always been something of a melting pot.:smile:

My father started his genealogy back in the 1930s and worked at it all his life. I inherited his files, digitised his work and have done quite a bit since.
Anything before 1800 tends to be a bit provisional as only church records remain and names often repeat themselves within families. I think I have one or two lines going back to the 17th c. but, remember, at at that distance you are descended from a good many different people.
My father believed it was good for kids to know who their 16 gt gt grandparents were and where they had lived. So that has been my goal for my grand children too. One of them phoned up for info on migration for her geography homework this week and I am glad you mentioned Ireland, as I deliberately incuded migration from Ireland and Scotland too. As well as people leaving Europe for USA, Australia and India.
Glad you are enjoying it Tina.

Traced our lot back to 1670ish. But it's difficult as there are one or two lines of enquiry that could have been family, but back then, as now, nobody can spell my bloody sir name correctly!

Wally -Spelling may not signify. Prior to 1800 there was much flexibility.
Even recently if people arrived in UK from overseas, your get variations in the name spelling, even on official birth marriage and death certificates. Censuses particularly unreliable for spelling.

Wally -Spelling may not signify. Prior to 1800 there was much flexibility.
Even recently if people arrived in UK from overseas, your get variations in the name spelling, even on official birth marriage and death certificates. Censuses particularly unreliable for spelling.

This is the problem we ran into. Some Church records could have been the person/link we were after, but the spelling was out, so it made it very difficult to make a definite connection. Literacy back then was such a hit and miss as was spelling.

I think we'd have to go back tot eh Vikings with our lot before we got anyone from overseas. Shame really as I'd loved to have found someone from foreign shores.....just to wind my grandmother up!:wink:...but she's no longer here to wind up!

I did some with my fathers line but the boys in our family were able to recite our lineage back the way i.e i am Bryan son of William son of Andrew son of James son of Alexander etc etc. that took us back to around the Jacobite rebellion in the 17th century. It can get difficult around that time in Scotland as after the rebellion was crushed a lot of people in the North changed there names to try and avoid the Highland Clearances. Its a very interesting hobby to have if you have the time to trace all your forebears but be prepared to have some real nasties thrown up, murder, cattle rustling, executions, transportations and all round bad asses.

newrider.com