Fancy Dress for my daughter and her pony ideas,pictures welcome

sweetheart8023

May 6, 2009
Hi my 5 year old daughter is going to a fancy dress on her pony toby and wants to be a fairy and him be a christmas tree.Just wondered if anyone had any idea of how to make the costume or if anyone as ever done this before and has any pictures that I could use as help.All help/ideas is greatly appreciated.

Hi i once went to a fancy dress as a christmas tree lol i used green fake fur for my outfit with cheapo decorations from pound stretcher and such places with tinsel sown on and battery operated flashing christmas lights :)

Perhaps you could make the pony a rug out of green fun fur or fleece material and decorate it.You can make little green leg wraps and decorate with bells if hes not a spooky pony.Plait his mane and add decorations or tinsel. My daughters shetland used to spend half her life in fancy dress when my daughter was younger :):)

For the fairy you can buy wings etc in claires accesories shops. do you have a fabric shop nearby ? you can usually get net fabric cheap and you wouldn't need much....

Last edited:
If tinsel is too spooky you could plait his main with silver, gold and red ribbon. You could also plait his tail with lots of plaits (10 say) and plait in ribbons to match his main. Ribbon will be less swooshy and itchy than tinsel. You could use the same ribbons to wrap around his reins, stirrups

I like the idea of a green rug. You could decorate with flat, felt decorations, kind of like a mural. Just thinking about things that wouldn't spook the pony or get broken.

That sounds like fun, almost enough fun for me to want a baby - but not quite!

Have fun being creative:D

we did it when my daughter was 5

I covered a rug with green material and sewed on tinsel and baubles so nothing flapped

I bought some cheap battery operated fairy lights and sewed those on

And she wore a chepo fairy costume we had anyway

looked good and she got 2nd - no way could we have beaten the winner! It was profesionally made and totally fantastic :D

Thanks for all your great replies,got beths grandma making costume have mentioned all your wonderful ideas.Will post pictures after show on sunday :)

I've found flat double bed sheets can be cut to make a great rug shape and pretty cheap to buy, I'm sure you could get a green one somewhere, or maybe buy a white one and dye it in the washing machine, I'm sure I've done this in the past!

I love the idea of battery operated lights, makes me wish I was still young enough to join in the fancy dress competitions!

Well thanks for all the advice guys and we got a First on sunday dressed as christmas tree and fairy.My little girl was so pleased.So here is the picture.:)

Attachments

• 16338_1283612331129_1254720845_30864002_265171_n.jpg
    16338_1283612331129_1254720845_30864002_265171_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 26
My little girl was beaming from ear to ear.carried her rosette round all day showing everyone.Thanks for the lovely replies much appreciated :)

newrider.com