Farmer Wants A Wife

i come from a farming family, and although they farmed with horses up to the 60's they certainly wouldnt have liked recreational horses on the farm. the reason that farmers ( or at least the ones i know) dont like them is that they tear up the ground with thier hooves, and they are wasteful grazers. most farmers bring thier livestock in to winter over, so they dont really like horses churning the ground up.

I'm a farmer and work 7 days a week looking after stock, very long hours, in all weathers (I have gone through 3 sets of clothes in one day, soaked to skin)

I hardly have time to ride!!:mad::mad: Had about 6 days off this year.
If I do get some free time I'm usually too knackered to ride.

We started the farm from scratch and it takes years to get a profit.
OH refers to my horses as dog food as thats all they're good for!! his opinion not mine I hasten to add.
He does feed them bales tho:)

We had recorded that episode and watched it last night. The Farmer on it was hilarious, and his daughter was certainly a 'character'! The livery yard and horse looked fab. Has she said anything about the programme? It was strange that they decided to 'just be friends', but she definitely seemed hopeful for the future ;)

When I divorced my ex-husband back in 2003 and moved to Pembrokeshire, I joined an on-line dating agency particularly looking for a farmer to marry (I grew up on farms and always wanted to get back to one). I think Rich was the 4th bloke I met up with - and I moved in with him after 6 weeks :D We got married in 2005 (in Jamaica - dream tropical wedding :)) and have been through a lot together (his dad and younger brother died on the same day in early 2007 - and we have been running the family farm since).

It is fab being married to a farmer - but certainly not suited unless you can cope with the weird hours, being outside in all weathers, the paperwork, stress and having your birthday in the middle of calving (last year we spent my birthday milking the cows in the new parlour for the first time :rolleyes:).

Rich is not at all horsey - but he tolerates them for my benefit. Over the years he has seen my herd change in size - with 4 in residence now. I have been given the use of the poorest field next to the yard (not fertilised and too steep to be cultivated), and always have somewhere under cover for them, although I often have to move them if a particular shed is needed for livestock. He has been promising me a trailer for the past 3 years - but still not got one. Nearly ordered one this summer, but now he has spent £40k on heifers and the bank account is officially closed to any more major spending for a while. We also planned to develop the yard into a livery yard - with indoor and outdoor school etc - but now he is planning to raise more beef cattle :rolleyes:

However, I don't moan - as the cows and cattle bring in the cash needed for me to stay at home and look after my animals - and we have 2 full-time employees now, so we can start to plan more time away from the farm (I had a holiday with my mum last month, but hadn't been away for nearly 4 years - and Rich couldn't get away with us, as we had employees off sick).

Due to my worsening health I am now actually planning to just have one pony again and keep her at a local livery yard - but I will always be grateful to Rich for letting me have my own herd here :)

Ali xx

Hi again,

I'm glad you like our yard. It was set up especially for a large group of us who all left our last yard together on the same day in May last year. We've had to make do for a while but gradually the FO is setting it all up very nicely for us.

I haven't seen the lady since the programme was shown, probably will see her tomorrow and I'll see what I can find out. I've got a feeling she didn't really want to carry on the friendship.

I wondered if I might have accidently got filmed as I was walking alongside her with my horse when she was getting her horse in from the field.
Fortunately they managed to miss me.

We had recorded that episode and watched it last night. The Farmer on it was hilarious, and his daughter was certainly a 'character'! The livery yard and horse looked fab. Has she said anything about the programme? It was strange that they decided to 'just be friends', but she definitely seemed hopeful for the future

I had a chat today with my co-livery, the winning prospective wife, and no the friendship will not be continuing. All I can say is don't believe everything you see on tv ! The yard was fairly busy this afternoon and the poor woman had to put up with a lot of leg-pulling ! She hasn't seen the programme herself and doesn't want to either.

I take my hat off to Troi and EnduranceAli - it's all very well people like me daydreaming that I'd like to be farmer's wife - but I can imagine it's very, very hard work, both physically and mentally. There's a lot more to it than standing around the Aga all day making delicious roasts and baking cakes! :eek::eek:

newrider.com