Fat Club

I'm still trying to get to grips with this scoring thingy, but in the meantime, these are Hogans embarrassing close ups.... Also, he's a freak of nature - he's black, then bay, and in this last pic today(for all over chub perspective!) He's liver chestnut? o_O Screenshot_20190613-154431_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190613-154440_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190613-154448_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190613-154540_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190613-154613_Gallery.jpg

Well, gritted my teeth and got the weigh tape out today. Now, bearing in mind he was 490 :)eek:) when I got him, this time last year, he's 456. Still way overweight, but he's got more grass here than his old place, so at least the exercise is doing something....

My horse was 650kg when he went on the scales before his bone scan in May last year. When he went in for his operation in September he was 700kg, and in April this year he weighed in at 742kg on the weigh bridge that was brought to the yard. I know he has lost since then because I can at least get his girth done up now, but I feel awful for letting him get so fat. He is a 16.1hh shire x, so will always be big. I just don't want him to be THIS big!

Reactions: Huggy
I think it's difficult when you have a horse/pony that's "built", and a good doer. I got so used to Ramsey, who was not exactly fine build, but not chunky either, and now I struggle to keep weight off Hogan, who's supposed to be solid and chunky, and it's difficult (for me) to recognise his ideal weight. He was probably about right mid winter. I'm assuming, since he wobbles when he trots, that he's a tad(!) too fat :oops: .

Reactions: Mary Poppins
10dwjfk.jpg10dwjfk.jpgwhen fleur got EMS in November 2017 we changed our feeding regime completely and she has lost 100kg. Weight taped everyone today and they have all lost whereas last week it was depressing. Leo who is my main concern has lost 59kg since we started but there is still no evidence of any bone structure. the two boy donkeys have lost 5kg - they are in a bare paddock with Leo and eating nettles and hedges and whatever they can pick during the day. at night they have straw. they get their balancer and that's it. Suze for a huge comtois is good, she is 570kg, fleur 480kg , they had both gained weight so the muzzles during the day seems to work. Buddy has gone from 538 which is what he is every week to 532kg he hardly eats anything overnight. So a bit of progress

I think it's difficult when you have a horse/pony that's "built", and a good doer. I got so used to Ramsey, who was not exactly fine build, but not chunky either, and now I struggle to keep weight off Hogan, who's supposed to be solid and chunky, and it's difficult (for me) to recognise his ideal weight. He was probably about right mid winter. I'm assuming, since he wobbles when he trots, that he's a tad(!) too fat :oops: .
My vet says that he won’t be happy with Ben’s weight until I can see his ribs. I can’t even feel them right now.

I am pretty sure they boys are marginally less bloated looking since I got back from my trip :)
They have now eaten the grass they were refusing to eat before and Dan let himself out into Jurassic Park (the middle of my field, in places the grass is now as tall as me and the weeds are bigger!) on Saturday and Sunday night so I opened up the dog leg again last night and he stayed put. As Dude has vacated the front square they can all now go back on the full track, so I plan to use the boys to clear off the longer bits this week and put them all back together at the weekend, fingers crossed we don't get any silly hormonal behavior, the boys are such good friends at the moment and Jess has been calm and settled, I really don't want that spoiled.

On the plus side I have noticed that the poor starving donkeys and comtois are eating nettles.....
I noticed the boys are eating them this year, not sure if that is because I am 'starving' them or if the nettles are just more appealing this year, I'm pretty sure they were eating them before being starved...

I noticed the boys are eating them this year, not sure if that is because I am 'starving' them or if the nettles are just more appealing this year, I'm pretty sure they were eating them before being starved...

nope ours weren't just started this week as I reduced what they got during the day.....making it very tough for them, they have to forage the hedge, short grass, I chuck them the odd section of straw if they look too pathetic and they get fed overnight but they are having to work harder for it, and it is slowing them donw. I was pleased that everyone at weigh in on Saturday was down a bit.

Reactions: Jessey
measured them all today, Fleur is down to 458kg lightest she has been, Suze has lost a little more and is light. Almost found some bone structure. The two fat donkeys have lost about 10kg and Leo who has been the most resistant is the lightest he has been since we started measuring them.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com