Faults given for 'resistance' in BSJA

TEmily

Oct 14, 2008
Sheffield South Yorkshire
Hi

Well I just want to vent my frustration at BSJA judge. At the show my YO's friend ran the weekwnd before last (at Beckindale) one of YO's horses got 4 faults for 'resistance' in the Discovery jump off. This was very annoying as it left her with 8 faults and did us out of a placing - we would have been fastest 4 faults if not!

I wouldn't mind so much, but all Maddie did was slightly overshoot the turn into a fence and was heading towards a wing - her rider just made a really strong check on her canter and turned her in the right direction. It probably did look a bit messy but was nothing at all like I've seen some people's horses carrying on at BSJA shows - she didn't buck or stop or anything. Its actually the first time I've ever seen resistance faults awarded (admittedly I don't have much BSJA experience probably help out with YO's mares at 6-8 shows a year as can't make it every week). The judges clearly had a debate about it as they didn't announce her score till she was well out of the ring.

So was just wondering if anyone else had come across it much - is it common and do you find judging consistent?

IME judges tend to only do it for harsh riding. Sorry to be controversial but I sometimes with they would do it more - there a lot of horses getting "yanked" around... She could have done a circle - it would have been kinder to the horse. Either way she would have got 4 faults.

I totally agree this is what I'm getting at - I've seen people ride horrendously especially in jump-offs and never get pulled for it. Carolyn is a very sensitive rider there's no way she'd have hauled Maddie about, She just kind of checked her canter so the horse stopped her momentum and she was back in control, then did a nice correct turn in the right direction. The actual definition of resistance in the rule book is the horse not going forward, so I guess they must have given faults cos she kind of pulled up??

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but as long as the horse doesn't take a step back then it isn't classed as a refusal then she should have been ok. I know in BE though you aren't allowed to jump a horse from a standstill as it is considered unsafe - if the judge is strict it can result in elimination...

newrider.com