Favourite horse names?

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
What are yours? We have an unamed horse on the yard currently, which got me thinking about names. What names do you like and dislike in horses? Do you like human names or non human names? Common names or unusual ones?

I love the name Seren for boy or girl, if i get to name another horse, this would be the one i'd choose.

Not sure if I actually prefer human names to non human, but at our RS some of the ones with human names definitely suit their characters! 'Jimmy' is a bit of a cheeky boy, 'Dennis' (not a menace at all!) is a bit like a meek and mild chap who seems to just say 'yes, dear' to whatever you ask him.

By the way, that's Jimmy in my avatar pic, posing for the camera.

Last edited:
I've got an unnamed horse at the moment so have been thinking about this a lot too. Two syllable names sound best I think - great for calling the field!

I like names that are different and have some thought behind it - I'm not a huge fan of human names but I quite like 'reference' names like places (Memphis, Dublin), popular culture (Anakin, Logan), literature (Caliban, Holden, Atreyu) etc.

My unnamed horse is related to my old horse who we gave the stable-name Del Boy because of his french passport name, so I really wanted to name the new horse Rodney :D Doesn't fit him unfortunately!!

My unnamed horse is related to my old horse who we gave the stable-name Del Boy because of his french passport name, so I really wanted to name the new horse Rodney :D Doesn't fit him unfortunately!!

You could call him 'Trotter' ! :giggle:

I really like Caymen's name! I nearly bought horses called Robbie and Thor - liked them too.

I like Shay (No Angel's horse). Knew a horse called Sherlock too

I think the problem with unusual names is that people may not be able to pronounce them.

Our mare Minnie for example came from a PMU farm in Canada. The foals are raised on the range in huge pastures -kind of a wild unhandled upbringing.
To commemorate Minnie's origins we donated a small amount to somebody from the Native American Language Association and she suggested some names to us in a tribal language native to the area Minnie was from: Ojibway.
So Minnie's real name is Minose. It means 'Good Fortune' and is pronounced Min-NOH-say.
Sounds really nice if pronounced correctly and it suits her very well.
BUT: Most people read the name and call her My Nose! lol

I'm rubbish with naming animals...so glad that both ponio and dog came pre-named :biggrin: I do tend to prefer human names for animals

I really really wanted to call our last boy cat Paul but OH wouldn't let me! (for those who know my cats He was Lela's brother who died aged 4.5 weeks, 2 days after we got him)

I love Human names for animals !

My dogs are called Dennis & Doris-Day, and my horse Archie

I love horses names like Rodney & Dave !! a bit of humour in it!:tongue:

Star....after Mary Kings horse :giggle:

Spirit, not sure why i just love this one!

Oh and of course Black Beauty :giggle::redface:

I like human names for horses, Cracker came ready named and answering to it from the other side of the field, so I wouldn't have changed it.

If I had named him I think Arthur would suit him, or Stan.

But lots of people who meet him tell me he is well named as he is a cracking fella, so maybe he has grown into his good name! :bounce:

Albi was originally called Albert because the girl's other two boys were Del-boy and Rodney.

I still love the name Ludo, which is what we chose for a previous young coblet we had for a couple of years. He was named after the character in Labyrinth as Dom's mum (RIP) was a sculptor who worked in the film industry, including this film and it is a big favourite of ours. I did contemplate re-naming Albi as Ludo but felt it would be a bit odd to have done this a second time.....

And I still love the name Cherry as well (another previous for those who don't know). I think it's very female and pretty.

newrider.com