Favourite horsey grown up books

On the novel front, I really recommend “A Wind In Cairo” a wonderful fantasy by Judith Tarr about a man who is turned into an Arab stallion for being very, very bad; and “Horse Heaven” a big novel about American racing by Jane Smiley. Enjoy!

Reactions: Huggy
On the novel front, I really recommend “A Wind In Cairo” a wonderful fantasy by Judith Tarr about a man who is turned into an Arab stallion for being very, very bad; and “Horse Heaven” a big novel about American racing by Jane Smiley. Enjoy!
Going to have to buy another bookshelf!

Reactions: newforest
Thanks for this thread, some nice ideas for my next holiday :)

I love "Chosen by a Horse" by Susan Richards. It was recommended on here a few years ago now I think.

Thanks for this thread, some nice ideas for my next holiday :)

I love "Chosen by a Horse" by Susan Richards. It was recommended on here a few years ago now I think.
Oh I think I've got that one, but not read it yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Several books I’ve really enjoyed are on here already – the Caroline Akrill eventing trilogy is an old favourite.

Fiona Walker has written a few books set in the eventing world, which I adore, they are fluffy escapism but good quality fluff! Some of her novels about village life, relationships and romance have horsey characters too, though I find the tone of those isn’t consistent – some get the atmosphere right while others cross the line into overwhelming cheesiness.

I liked The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes. It’s quite fanciful but the relationship between the girl and her horse is nicely drawn. The Comforting Rain by the same author has some horsey themes as well though the main storyline is about family relationships. I enjoyed these but disliked her better-known Me Before You so if anyone was unimpressed by the latter don’t necessarily let it put you off!

I wanted to love Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen, as I so enjoyed her Water for Elephants, but it didn’t hit the spot for me. It’s quite focused on family troubles, the horses are more a backdrop, so although I think it is well written it’s not the horsey book I expected from the title/blurb/cover.

Not grown up, but if anyone was a fan of the Jinny and Shantih series by Patricia Leitch, you might like to know that a couple of the author’s other out-of-print pony books are being re-released as e-books by Jane Badger Books. Dream of Fair Horses is a very good and quite complex, bitter-sweet story about achieving your dreams and letting them go. I like it more as an adult in a nostalgic mood than I would have as a child. And The Horse From Black Loch has just been released today – I pre-ordered it through the Kindle bookstore so it has arrived in my library but hasn’t yet been read.

Books read that I enjoyed rather than favourites.

Warrior: The Amazing Story of a Real War Horse
Book by J. E. B. Seely, 1st Baron Mottistone.

The Horse Boy Journey to Heal His Son By Rupert Isaacson

Red Rum: The story of ginger Mcain.

Horse shoes and Holy Water
Long Rider to Rome

I gave @Jessey a horse book I liked, but forget the title.

Most of my books I stumble upon secondhand.

Books read that I enjoyed rather than favourites.

Warrior: The Amazing Story of a Real War Horse
Book by J. E. B. Seely, 1st Baron Mottistone.

The Horse Boy Journey to Heal His Son By Rupert Isaacson

Red Rum: The story of ginger Mcain.

Horse shoes and Holy Water
Long Rider to Rome

I gave @Jessey a horse book I liked, but forget the title.

Most of my books I stumble upon secondhand.
I can't remember either, I will have a look when I get home :)

I tried to read the Jilly Cooper book, but it wasn't for me - ended up in the bin.

Mark Rashid books I highly recommend.

Not fiction -
but I liked Whispering Back. Adam Goodfellow and Nicole Golding. It is very cheap now, either second hand or for kindle.
And Jane Shilling the Fox in the Cupboard about learning to ride as an adult and then learning to hunt.

I do read Jilly Cooper - The recent tomes on flat racing and steeplechasing include masses of info about how racing works - for horses, riders, race courses etc.

Not fiction -
but I liked Whispering Back. Adam Goodfellow and Nicole Golding. It is very cheap now, either second hand or for kindle.
And Jane Shilling the Fox in the Cupboard about learning to ride as an adult and then learning to hunt.

I do read Jilly Cooper - The recent tomes on flat racing and steeplechasing include masses of info about how racing works - for horses, riders, race courses etc.
I think that whispering back will go on my birthday list.....

newrider.com