Fear of jumping

horseygal90

Going
Aug 27, 2004
Well, more a mild phobia tbh :D

Before Weds, I hadn't jumped since May. I find it really hard to jump just one fence on it's own - much prefer doubles/grids/bounces/triples. Had a jumping lesson yesterday doing gridwork and it was so much fun! 2 cross poles then a straight, and then another straight after that.

Reflecting on it, had the RI just put the first straight up, I would've been bricking it. Had she whacked it up to the height of the second straight (not massively but still a few holes higher than the first) I would have been very nervous about jumping it. But because I was riding through the X poles first, it didn't bother me and I really enjoyed it and got my jumping position a lot easier and with less hassle.

Even when my pony pecked the second cross pole and got in deep to the first straight - Meaning I had to do some emergency mane grabbing on the second straight - I still didn't panick or worry.

Why can't I do that with a single jump?! Any ideas how to help?

You call that a fear of jumping :D Now if you said "I can jump over barells on a 14.1hh but when it comes to a 15.2hh you cant face a jump"

Can't help as I have jumped before but simple dont have the confidence. I look at the first jump a single fence not even high and throw a fit

Hope you get it sorted

might be completely wrong here but when thers a set of jumps set out i always go for the lowish ones first and build up.
but if somebody said to me first "just jump that 3ft 6 fence" i might be abit nervous,
however, if i was jumping a few jumps together and i saw the higher fence then i would probabaly do it then.
i think you get abit caught up when your jumping a course. theres less time to be "oh sh*t thats high", its more - finish that jump, 2 strides do next jump.

i explained that really badly, but i hope you know what i mean:p

Your fear would be abput getting it wrong on approach. This then leads to fidlling with the trot/canter which makes the approach wrong. Self fulfilling prohecy. :eek:
In a grid, it is almost impossible for a horse to get fence 3,4,5 etc wrong as any inaccuracy in striding at the low fence 1 will be corrected at fence 2.

Hi
one of the girls where i keep my horse was petrifiedof jumping any fence she wouldn't even go over a pole in trot. She had seen me jump her pony over huge fences but still wasnt convinced, anyways she asked me for lessons.
We started off with poles that to start with i walked over with her then when she started to trot themi left her then i put wings either side and when she'd done that a x pole on the first hole. we gradually built it up over several weeks, she now loves juming and went ot and competed her first sjing show a few weeks back and won!!
We cant keep her away frm the jumps now! and shes quite happy to go out and pop over a 2ft6 fence no problem, so maybe try tht??

sorry for the long post but thoght id give you a stor to show it works :D

xXxhope you get your confidance soonxXx

newrider.com