Feed advice for hot headed extremely good doer

suzyqet

Sep 4, 2008
Hampshire
OK, I have a 17hh MW/HW Mare who is an extremely good doer.
At the moment, all she has for her hard feed is a handfull of cool fibre (similar to happy hoof) and a cup full of high fibre cubes.

She has about 3 good sized sections of hay at night in a small holed haylage net so it lasts longer (stabled at night).

She doesnt do a great deal of work, mainly lungeing and schooling a couple of times a week with the odd hack to the beach.

She cant eat anything with high sugar or molasses content, nor can she eat anything which is alfalfa based.

Anyway, as it only takes her literally minutes to eat her hard feed (morning and night) I have been looking into bulking her feed up with something to make it last a little longer.

I would like to feed her some sort of beet (warm) but cant feed her any beets which have any sugar in them.

Can anyone suggest anything please?

Is there any such thing on the market?

Many thanks for your answers in advance.

Does she actually NEED the feed then? Because, if she was mine I would probably not be giving her anything if she doesn't need it.

She doesnt really NEED hard feed, except for the fact she has a supplement twice a day in her feed to regulate her hormones. She is well stroppy if she is taken off it. To the point that she's not enjoyable.

I just want to try and make her meal times a little more enjoyable rather than being the first to finish her feed every time and then standing there looking miserable as the rest of the yard are still munching away quite happily.

I would change to something like D+H Safe and Sound that has nutri nuts etc in it along with several great hoof supps.

I used to feed it to Kia but hes a fussy swine and refused to eat it. It is very palatable and i used to put it in his bootaball as the nutts and chaff were good fun for him to try to remove lol.

Nikki xxx:)

I agree why feed? But if she needs her supplement try either Dengie hifi good do-er, or hifi light. (hifi light has only 1.5% starch and good do-er has got practically nothing, is just a bulker but tastes of mint, Scrumy!!)

Also look into Allen and page Fast fibre as it swells loads, therefor you hardly have to feed anything to fill them up a bit.

However I would personally just give enough good do-er to make supplement edible and thats it!!

Mines on the Good Doer and seems to really enjoy it - I was going to suggest the mini hole haynet but just noticed you are already doing that.

I've been looking at fast fibre recently and think it sounds quite good.

It has 2.0% sugar which is less then happy hoof. You could feed just fast fibre to put her supplements in and it would have enough vits 7 mins if fed at the right quantity.......or you could feed more of the happy hoof type stuff? if it low kcal anyway?

She

I just want to try and make her meal times a little more enjoyable rather than being the first to finish her feed every time and then standing there looking miserable as the rest of the yard are still munching away quite happily.

I would just add whatever vits and suppliments she needs to dampend down hi fi lite or hi fi good doer. If she has hay available anyway it's not like she has nothing to eat when she's finished whilst the others are all munching.

i'd recommend hi-fi good-doer :)
as for a beet - how about fast fibre?
(i also feed a fatty just because i want her to have her vits and mins ;) but i'm lucky as she can handle alpha beet and normal chaff)

Hi
I have a very hotheaded good doer. She gets Dengie gooddoer, TopSpec calmer, CLOP, cider vinegar, a SMALL amount of Ride and relax when she really needs it, not often, and industrial quantities of hay. Oh and as much turnout as possible. I appreciate you may be worried by the adlib hay, but after two or three nights of pigging out she now regulates her own intake and there is always some left. I do not use haynets, she has a great big blue bin on the floor, about three big nets andn she helps herself.
bye

Last edited:
Like you I have a horse who gets fat on fresh air and cannot tolerate certain feedstuffs. I also need to get a powder supplement into him daily, so need something it will easily mix with.

I have 2 choices (so alternate to provide some interest!)

Copra - coconut. Soaks quickly. 1/2 cup day.
or
ReadyFibreMash (green one) ( www.targetfeeds.com ) This is lovely this time of the year as soaked in hot water takes only a few mins and gives a lovely warming feed.

My Arab is a hot haeded Good doer who gets fat just looking at grass and he gets Hi Fi Good Doer and BlueChip Lami Light, he does not need anything else he has to much energy anyway:D

I used to have him on happy Hoof but recently changed him to Hi Fi what I have noticed is that he eats the Hi Fi so much quicker than the HH, I really like the Hi Fi though, was actully thinking this morning that i might buy both and mix them together, does anyone know if you can do that i mean they are both just chaffs???

As i to would like his dinner to take a longer time to eat ;)

I have 2 youngsters - both got Tb in them, but both good doers.......so both only get hay!
they really dont need anything else - not losing condition, dispite not being rugged/stabled! Even my 18 month old filly is tubby, lol. I thank God I dont have to shovel loads of extra feed down them just to keep weight on - most people would!

If your horse doesnt need feedingm then you dont have to feed him!
If you try keeping him on hay only, and he loses too much weight, then try a cooling mix.....or something that is hi fibre and nothing else

Originally Posted by Joyscarer
I would just add whatever vits and suppliments she needs to dampend down hi fi lite or hi fi good doer. If she has hay available anyway it's not like she has nothing to eat when she's finished whilst the others are all munching.

totally agree to :)

newrider.com