feed advice needed

moonglow

May 16, 2008
i am debating what to feed this new horse i have coming he is going to be on 24 hour turnout on very lush grass

he is going to be in no work for about two weeks

hes a 17hh tbx

any ideas ??

What is his current condition? How is his temperament, how old and is he a good or poor doer? You can't really decide until you know that!
Although in no work on good grass he may not need feeding at all until you start working him :)

Hard to say without knowing what he's like weight & condition-wise at the moment - any pics? Also, try to find out what his current feed/turn out/work regime is. What type/breed is he? My 17.2 ID x needs very little feeding, even when in work and during the winter! He's a real good-doer who I have trouble keeping the weight off. :rolleyes: At the moment he's at grass 24/7, and just gets a handful of chaff with his supplements through it.

lol how stupid am i i forgot to write all that went to make a coffef and fogot what i have wrote

hes in good conditon he is in good condition , stabled at the moment out in the day he hasnt been in work for four months, hes very stressy and fizzy but i think he will be more relaxed out as he hates being stabled

he currently has 2 slices of hayledge a scoop of calm and condition chaff and i think just pony nuts twice a day and then just what he has when hes turned out

im thinking he may not need anything else hard feed wise with all the grass he will be having

my 17.1 ish gets a few pony nuts and chaff just enough for his ads to go into but he does lose weight in the winter so he has sugar beet and calm and condition but i do like him to be slimmer going in to the spring/summer as he does put plenty of weight on in the summer. if your horse is upto weight then if he is getting plenty of grass then dont feed him any hard feed while he isnt being ridden/worked or just a token feed of a handful of chaff and some carrots and apples and see how you go, there is no need to feed more then he needs or for the sake of it when its not nessasary.

thanls that was what i was thinking i will have to give him a bit as my mares have feed so i would feel mean him not having any il try that and keep an eye on him

get ready for a picture overload tonight lol

newrider.com