Feed Advice

xJenniferx

Jul 22, 2009
Overtown, Lanarkshire
So, currently looking at Tylers feeds as it will be the first time I have been totally in charge of his feeding.

At the moment things are as follows:

Work: Hacked about twice a week with walk trot and canter for around 2 hours.

Feed: 24/7 graing (field for fatties). He is getting about a scoop of 'Safe and Sound' so that I can give him his Garlic supplements - for fly deterrent. I am also going to add Cod Liver Oil as it may help with the joint that clicks.

In the winter:

Work: as above. He has limited turnout though

Feed: Scoop of 'Safe and Sound'; General Vit and Min Supplement; Speedibeet; Cod Liver Oil. (Twice a day)Ad lib Haylage

Questions:

- Does the above sound OK?

- Should I continue the Garlic supplement as I have read a few articles that have said it is good for general health

- He is prone to being a bit over weight and his hooves arent great. The 'Safe and Sound' seems to have helped, so dont really want to change it

Personally I wouldn't be thinking about upping feed until they need it. You may find you get through most of the winter before you even need to consider it.

My 2 fatties are out 24/7 and in the summer get Dengie Good doer chaff and the minimum Bailey's lo cal.

They have weight to lose and will keep them on their summer diet and bung some hay out if there isn't enough grass for them. I won't be looking to change their diet because it is winter. Most horses/ponies do well enough on purely forrage without the need for extras if they are in light work like yours and mine are.

If mine need extra then I'll be moving on up through the chaff range first and then maybe think about adding in some speedibeet if needed although they haven't had it since the first winter when I bought Joy.

It takes self disapline to let fatties lose the weight they need over winter. I like my good doers to come out of winter a touch ribby knowing full well that the moment the grass starts growing again they only have to sniff it to bung weight on again :rolleyes:

I see many horses round my way who do not lose all the weight they gained over summer and then the next string the owners are really starting to struggle. I don't want to fall into that trap.

Same as Joyscarer, again :D ( I even feed my little ones the same)
I wouldn't change anything.
In fact I wouldn't give him a scoop of Safe and Sound, a couple of handfulls are enough; Why waste money?!

So I should be OK as long as I leave that plan as it stands.

Should I lose the Speedibeet in the winter until it gets either very very cold or he loses weight.

Have just weighed him and he has lost a bit of the extra weight he is carrying Still overweight, but not so bad.

I always feed speedi-beet anyway; horses love it; but I have it very very watered down in summer. In winter they get around half a scoop each.

I think it would be fine to feed it to him i winter, if he does loose too much weight you could just either change the chaff to Alfa Oil or add your own oil.

newrider.com