Feed buckets!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Anyone got any bargain feed buckets or bowls recently or got any ideas for cheap safe bowls? I normally use tub trugs which I pick up in Asda for a couple of £ but haven't seen any recently.

Got a large water tub trug from work today for £3.50, shame we don't do the little ones!

Do you want multiple you can leave in the field or just 1 to leave at the field and a 1 to make your feed up in?

Multiple, I have 3 already I'd like another 4/5 so I can make up a weeks worth of feeds and then just make damp before I feed

Well i use the 99p water buckets from homebase at work and for mine to make the feeds up in but I got everyone a tyre feed bucket which can be left in the fields. 3 years for the work ones now and 5 for mine so robust. Where we get tyres changed on our cars will give you as many free tyres as you like as they have to pay to get rid of them. Drilled a couple holes in the bottom to let water drain out when it rains and a couple old builders bricks inside the tyre and they don't move. The tyre bucket was £12.99 from the local saddle shop.
The homebase water buckets work great for making up in but aren't safe to leave lying around but cheap and cheerful for making feeds :)

Last edited:
The best bucket I ever had was one of those made from recycled old tyres, they're so robust and safe, no sharp edges quite weighty so won't blow around in the wind, can't remember price though but definitely last a lifetime, unless like mine someone pinches it:rolleyes:

Multiple, I have 3 already I'd like another 4/5 so I can make up a weeks worth of feeds and then just make damp before I feed
What is the feed you are making? Can't you just use a carrier bag and tip contents out?

As for safe bowls, washing up bowls might be £1 from poundland. Just tip into the actual bowl or use I guess.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I've put them on my Xmas list but if I don't get any will just get some cheap buckets/bowls and decant as needed :)

I use tub trugs for Ziggy but Mattie much prefers the big heavy flat recycled tyre feed bowls. He can knock them over more easily and eat his food off the ground :confused:

I had to resort to the tyre. Mine loves to lick the bowl, the handles and then lift it up and occasionally throw it. Everything else broke.
Mum did so I blame the parents ;)

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com