feeding advice please!

StephyB

LoVeS jAcK
Oct 26, 2008
Lancashire
I put a deposit down on a horse today :D I'M SO EXCITED!!!

He's a Bay Gelding Warmblood (hanoverian)
16.3hh 5 years old

Hes not done a lot for quite a while so looking quite 'gangly' at the moment. Really could do with putting quite a lot of weight on, so knowing how great all you guys are i thought i'd ask your advice...?

The current owners are feeding a huge bucket load once a day, but with loads of supplements and barley but dont really want to stuff him upto his eyeballs with a load of stuff. What do you think??

split his feeds to as many little ones as poss- they absorb nutrients etc better that way.
he needs lots of good quality fibre and time to fill out- quite a lot look gangly at that age :)

whats his workload, is he fizzy, in/out, allergies etc

What you need to do is finding out they are feeding him and then make any changes away from that gradually.

If he needs a lot of feed then split the feed into 2 or 3 meals.

Simple systems! Always use it, but only in winter at the moment but will use it next summer too as he will be in more work :)

Ive been using it for around 3 weeks since Percy has started to come in at nights, so I bought my 2 bags. One of Lucie nuts and one of Purabeet. Can honestly say not even passed the half way mark yet!! Because so little soaks up so much, its very good on your money!
So I :
1 scoop(not stubbs) of lucie nuts
1 scoop of purabeet
soak this overnight, split it in half and feed one half in morning, the other in the evening and add.
1 stubb scoop of Alpha A
150g blue chip

This makes a big meal for them to enjoy! I always start on this amount then increase the Purabeet and Lucie nuts buy a half a scoop if needed.

:)

:)

His workload is very light/non-existant at the moment but i will be working him light/moderate. Hes not particularly fizzy i wouldnt say - young and green though so still bit unpredictable. No allergies.
I was thinking to feed him 2-3 meals a day, and plenty of haylage - yummy!

HAY PLENTY OF HAY add lib if you can. I think this is the most natural way and best way of filling out rather than pumping him full of food. Last thing you want is a big young warmblood hipped up on grub. Im not saying dont feed him what im saying is that if you can give him the opportunaity to always have a full net and he is a happy muncher go for it. Its really what i find best. My mare is an arab and ment to be hard at keeping weight on but she has a full net and goes through nearly a bale a day, is well conditioned and only has 3 feeds a day of a handful of mix and a handful of charff, thats because all the other horses on the yard have feeds. When she is in foal ill give her a mare and foal mix but honestly please dont go crazy on the hard stuff. lol

I swear by speedibeet or even fibrebeet as there is no sugar so tends to be nonheating but is fab at getting weight on.

Try to do as many small feeds as possible because as has been said they can't absorb all the nutrients from a large feed - i think the max is 4lb. :D

Oh and plenty of hay - as much as he can eat x

Personally id call a nutritionist (sp?) they can probs give you the best advice :)
I agree with lots of adlib hay though :D cant go wrong with lots of hay :D aha
best of luck with him btw ;)
x

Hi StephyB

I have a 16'2 eight year old German Warmblood and he is fed short feed twice daily:

1 scoop of Ride and Relax
1 scoop of Honey Chop
1/2 scoop of (soaked) Speedi beat
chopped up carrots and 1/2 apple

2 large haynets per night and turned out during the day and the grazing is good, he has only just started to (last day or so)finish both nets!

His work routine is basically 5 days a week either hacking out or lunging/schooling!

feeding guidelines

When I teach the BHS stage courses alot of people find it difficult or mis-understand what they feed their horses in terms of the work they do, the levels of work would be as follows: Light work would be if you are riding twice a day for about an hour each time, perhaps schooling and then a hack. Medium work would be if your were doing novicey competition once to three times a week, and hard work would be professional riding/competing ie three day eventing or winter showjumping!

So if you are in light work (which most people are) the feeding should be as follows:

1. find out your horses weight - the best way to do this is to use a weigh tape (these can be bought from most good tack shops - or if you ring the feed companies, alot of the time they can give you one for free!) put the weigh tape around the horse (using the horse side) about where you would put the girth. Weighing your horse regulary is really important, as it can give you a good indication if anything is starting to go wrong as it may be causing their weight to drop off and you can catch it early. Also if you want to feed him up it will help you to keep track of the weight gain.

2. you want to feed between 1.5 - 3% of the horses body weight, so say for example your horse weighs 600kg & we want to feed him up this would be: 600/100= 6 6x2.5% (for normal feeding I would say 1.5 to 2%) = 15kg

so each day your TOTAL feed weight is 15kg.

3. You should always give your horse AT LEAST 2/3rds of it's feed in fibre format - especially if you want to bulk him up so: 15kg/3= 5kg 5kgx2= 10kg
so each day your horse gets 10kg pure fibre i.e. hay or haylage in a haynet and 5kg of feed.

4. You absolutely should feed your horse small quantities, I would say at least 3 feeds a day, and depending what you are doing with your horse give him the feed accordingly. Remember the horses' stomach is only about the size of a rugby ball, so huge feeds will only pass thorough his system without him being able to digest it. For example a hack in the morning and schooling in the afternoon, I would give 2kg feed in the morning, 2kg feed at lunchtime and 1kg in the evening (you don't want to feed loads when he's just going to stand in the stable!) that adds up to the 5kg of feed in your diet. to bulk up this 5kg could be mostly made of high fibre, and don't forget succulents which aid in saliva production and help digestion - all making your feed work better for your horse and his system get as much out of it as possible!

Remember to change his feed slowly, over a period of about 2-3weeks and you shouldn't have any problems.

hope this helps!

honestly please dont go crazy on the hard stuff.
Ditto!!

I would go onto the dengie website it is really good. If you can go for a fibre based diet.
My horses' diet consists of Alpha A, Alfa beet and naf pink powder.

newrider.com