feeding question for oldies

babyboo

Nov 21, 2005
cheshire
i posted this in another part of this forum but havent had any responce so ill post here. lol
just wondering what you feed your oldies?
i have a 20year old IDX mare who is currently being fed dodson & horrels 16+ with hi-fi dengie. what supplements are best to add to her feed? with her age im worried about her getting arthiritis.

Our 2 oldies (20 & 32 years) are fed over winter (= Sept to May...! depending on weather) on

D&H 16+,
Hi Fi / similar chaff,
non-molassed sugar beet (soaked > v. wet so all of feed is easier to eat)
plus oil,
pony biccies and
chopped succulents (carrot / apple).

I think the 16+ has a few things added to it so check these before adding supplements.

One of ours also gets the supplement Superflex for possible arthritis / old joints. They also live out 24/7 (being Welsh & New Forest) to keep them active & flexible (not stiff); they have a concrete based double-sized field shelter with bedding to relax in.

Hope this helps abit!

Hiya. Ive got to oldies 32 and 29 and i feed them on Spillers Happy Chaff(formerlry showing chaff) Allen and Page Old Faithful and also a sugar beet minus the sugar, is supposed to be quite good for veterans( theyve only just started on this so havnt seen much result yet. Old Faithful is a really good food for oldies cus its very soft and mollassesy and they love it and is easy chewing to! Jen

newrider.com