feeding routines - question, what does everyone else do?

P

PatchyPony

hey guys,

well now Im in solo command of my ponio (and loving it:D) at new DIY yard I can reassess a few things.

I was only giving Tally a feed in mornings before because I had to - as all the other liveries at our old yard got one. :rolleyes: So her daily ration was always split 2 ways, am, and pm. ALthough I frequently found bits of her 'am' feed left as I think she was always in a hurry to go out.:D

Anyway - do you feed once, or twice a day?

Today , our first full day at new yard, I just did an evening feed. It seemed a lot in the bucket given that up until now its been split. In saying that all she gets is' 2 cups low-cal, 1/2 scoop speedibeet, 1/2scoop herbal chaff, sliced carrot.she's out during the day, in at night with ad lib hay.

what does everyone else do?

Casper gets a small handful of feed in his stable when he's brought in from the field - it's always in there waiting for him as his reward for coming in.:)

He then gets a proper feed before he goes out - Monday to Friday he gets it in the evening, at the weekend its early to mid afternoon.

Both of mine get a feed am and pm as they are living out so its good to bring them up the field to see me and hang around long enough for me to pick out feet, change rugs and have a cuddle!!

Raffles has a afternoon feed because hes ancient and loses weight easily so my long suffering dad catches him to feed him about 2pm.:)

2 feeds a day for us too.

Senior mix and chaff in the morning and senior mix, chaff, sugar beet and supplements in the evening.

mine are fed once a day but they don't need much anyway. always fighting battle of the bulge so at the moment they have 1/2 scoop happy hoof, spillers equivite general vitamin supplement.

I bring mine in (normally fed in the morning they live out 24/7) groom, do feet, feed, then turn back out

normally 3 feeds a day but at the moment its 2 feeds & i will split it into 3 this weekend:)

Horses stomachs are not big enough to cope with huge meals, and it is advised to give them 2 to 3 small meals throughout the day - although looking at the size of Taz`s stomach at the moment, I think that is incorrect :D

He is actually still just on grass at the moment - and will eventually have 2 small meals per day.

My boys live out 24/7 and have ad lib hay this time of year.

My SJ gets 2 feeds per day ;
AM ~ alfa a oil, alfabeet & readymash extra
PM ~ alfa a oil, alfa beet, readymash extra, blue chip & vits & mins & carrots

My young po gets one feed per day;
PM ~ hi fi lite, lamishield pure & vits & mins & carrot

Kia gets a scoop of nuts in the morning to make him come to the fence to get nabbed to remove his rug if its nice and give him a token feed :rolleyes::D

He gets his large feed at night which I know he leaves and comes back to during the night as it is a large feed.

Nikki xxx

Mine get 1 meal a day in the summer and 2 meals a day from here on in, they both come in for a few hours a day and have the first bucket when they are brought on to the yard and the second in the evening. Neither live on fresh air and both do a bit of work.

BTW the thing about small meals only applies to hard feed, if you feed fibre you can give them huge bucketfuls and it all gets used by them :)

thanks -

so my feed of, herbal chaff, speedibeet & 2 cups of low cal would class as fibre and be ok in a oner?

thats about what I feed once a day, dont have time in the morning to wait for them to eat. Princess gets some nuts and chopped apple in a football thing when they come in at 4ish then I feed proper feed at 8ish

Morse is going to have to have two feeds a day but all his feed is fibre anyway with the odd carrot so I am not too worried.

Nico gets a small scoop of pony nuts am , and hi fi, nuts and sugar beet pm normally with apples and carrots,

newrider.com