Feeding your Full Livery Horse

Rarah

A hole in my Logic!
Sep 28, 2003
West Yorkshire
Visit site
We've just switched to full livery from DIY today.

Do any of you still feed your horse if kept on full livery?

When I gave the yard staff a feed chart, I purposely cut out 1 small scoop of sugar beet and Alpha A so that I could feed after riding.

Does anyone else do this?

I though that if I did it this way, if she wasn't ridden for some reason then she'd also be getting less food which makes sense to me.

The livery yard feed Logic morning and evening, using my own feeds - they give her whatever I request.

She's a poor doer though and is now gaining weight since she came in overnight, but could still do with gaining a few extra pounds.

She's still getting the same quantity of feed, but it's just split between three feeds now (yard staff do 2 feeds and I do a late night feed when I've finished with her).

I do the same :D I have always had horses on DIY but decided this year I needed more help :eek:

The yard do breakfast and dinner as I request (they get all feeds in), then they leave me a small bucket of Alfa A and Bran, I then add some really sloppy grass nuts and all of their supplements and give them that for their supper :D

There are two reasons I set this arrangement up, firstly I still want to be able to give them a little something in the evenings. Secondly my guys get quite a few supplements - Bo gets farriers formula, garlic, a joint supplement and a calmer and Jess gets Garlic, a joint supplement, vitamins and minerals plus I like to give them some fresh vegtables/fruit as often as possible and it means I know they are gettign what they should and when its getting low rather than them going without for a week cause they didn't let me know before we ran out :p

I find it works well for me and the horses are always keen for their supper :D

Last edited:
newrider.com