Feeling fed up!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I thought that I would come on NR for a moan. Sorry if this is depressing.

My Ben is lame. He has an inflamed split on his left fore which is the size of an apple. The vet thinks that this is an old splint which has flared up because he is actually lame on his right fore and is therefore compensating. He also has a bad back and tightness throughout his hind legs. This may be causing the right fore lameness because the vet can not spot anything else. He is not horrendously lame, only 1/10th, but in my eyes lameness is lameness and I won't ride him until that 1/10th is gone.

Now I have been concerned about the tightness in his back for some time. Last summer I had a physio out who gave him a clean bill of health. He has had several bowen treatments and had his annual health check in November where he was declared sound, fit and healthy.

For various personal reasons he was in very light work for most of November/December and when I came to pick him up in January I noticed that he flinched when I groomed him along his back. I therefore got him another bowen treatment and was told that the 'tightness' was minor, that a physio treatment would be a waste of money and that he didn't need any further work. This was only a week ago. I spoke to various professional horsey people about it who told me that I was over reacting and that the flinch was nothing.

He suddenly fell lame on Wednesday and the vet came on Thursday. He was horrified by the tightness in his back. He told me to 'not worry about kissing spines right now before we have eliminated everything else'. So, kissing spines hadn't even crossed my mind, but of course it is all I can think about now. He is on box rest and 3 bute per day for his splint infection, and low and behold there is no reaction at all anymore when I touch his back. He obviously has been in pain, and probably for some time.

Now I know that I did everything right and seeking help and I trusted the professionals who advised me, but I feel so stupid and like I have let him down. I feel sick to my stomach that I continued to ride him despite knowing that his back flinched. I should have known better and I should have sought a second/third opinion.

He has physio treatment and the saddle fitter coming this week, and has to have 10 days worth of bute and anti-inflammatory cream. The vet comes back in 2 weeks to reassess and we hope that the physio will sort any pain and he will become sound. I'm just so worried and have vowed in future to trust my own instincts regardless of what people who apparently have more experience than me know. I need to trust myself more - I have owned him for several years and been looking after horses on a daily basis for about 20 years now. It is time to believe that when I think that there is something wrong there probably is.

So sorry for the long, rambling post. Please send good wishes for my amazing horse. He means everything to me, while I enjoy riding and competing him, all I want is for him to be happy and healthy.

Sorry Ben is under the weather - sending loads of healing vibes.

Don't beat yourself up about his sore back - hindsight is a wonderful thing - and it hasn't been going on for that long. But you know Ben better than anyone so I think you should have more confidence in your own instincts. Having said that, I'm sure there is something fundamentally wrong with Raf - something that connects his odd conformation, his girthiness and his weird back twitching thing that he does at the start of a hack, but neither vet nor physio take me seriously. It would be so much easier if they could talk.

Does your vet think he could have pulled something or does he not have any clues? I hope the physio can give you some ideas and even better, some treatment. Is it worth having the saddle fitter out just yet? If he's tense over his back it might not sit how it would when he's back to normal. Although you say the bute has stopped the pain so maybe not.

Sorry Ben is under the weather - sending loads of healing vibes.

Don't beat yourself up about his sore back - hindsight is a wonderful thing - and it hasn't been going on for that long. But you know Ben better than anyone so I think you should have more confidence in your own instincts. Having said that, I'm sure there is something fundamentally wrong with Raf - something that connects his odd conformation, his girthiness and his weird back twitching thing that he does at the start of a hack, but neither vet nor physio take me seriously. It would be so much easier if they could talk.

Does your vet think he could have pulled something or does he not have any clues? I hope the physio can give you some ideas and even better, some treatment. Is it worth having the saddle fitter out just yet? If he's tense over his back it might not sit how it would when he's back to normal. Although you say the bute has stopped the pain so maybe not.

I have just booked the saddler to come out on Wednesday. Luckily she was coming to the yard anyway, as was the physio who I am seeing tomorrow. I want to get everything checked out before the vet comes back so we can proceed from there. I just want someone to find a simple problem and fix it. The vet said that he honestly didn't know what was causing the lameness - there is nothing obvious at all. There is a slim chance it could be an abscess although he is not displaying his typical signs of this.

I have been saying that Ben's back is not right for a while and everyone told me I was talking rubbish until the vet saw him this week. It is hard to have faith in your own opinions though when the people who you pay to give you advice don't spot it. I hope that you get to the bottom of Raf's issues. May be worth trying a different physio?

How old is he MP? I don't think horses "get" KS....I think they either have it or they don't (but I will be corrected on this as that's only my understanding) If Ben only has recent problems, I wouldn't think that it is.

Poor boy, you must be worried sick. I hope it is all resolved soon xxx

Reactions: Mary Poppins
So sorry to read this and as everyone else has said don't beat yourself up. I agree you do need to trust your own instincts with him, especially after you have now owned him for so many years I really believe it is possible to 'sense' something is not quite right long before it becomes obvious to others, no matter how expert they are. But actually convincing someone else before really obvious symptoms arise is another matter altogether in my experience.

If he is a lot better on the bute I have always been told that is a good sign. I have waffled on somewhere on here about Dolly a few years back with a very, very low grade lameness issue going on that nobody could see but me - it did eventually become apparent that it wasn't my imagination and although she then went for extensive tests and scans they never did find the reason - but an unavoidable lay off out in the field for her when I couldn't ride for a good couple of months cured it - touching wood never to appear again. I do hope for Ben it will turn out to be something equally innocuous - healing vibes on their way :)

Sending healing vibes and hugs to you and lovely Ben.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing please don't feel bad it's not like you thought there may be a problem and didn't get it looked into. If a professional is telling you all fine then why would you ignore, it's what we pay for. It does show how well you know him so trust your instincts. If vet noticed back pain and physio didn't I would be tempted to try another physio, maybe your vet could recommend someone.

It's so easy when we love them to worry too much and think the worse, I was the same about Lottie. Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it and I'm sure with the help of vet and physio you will.

Last edited:
You've done good @Mary Poppins, a horse couldn't ask for more form their owner IMO. You tried, you got all the expert opinions, they found nothing but you're senses turned out to be right. You can't do more than what you've done already.
I read recently (in the last year - I'm old so recently to me can mean within the last decade:p:rolleyes:) that vets do rely on long term owners for the diagnosis as often the vet arrives and the animal can be quite worked up on adrenaline due to the change of routine, they therefore can quite often not see the pain they're in due to the adrenaline masking it. This happened to me twice last year with our dogs who were eventually PTS (both aged 15) one with aggressive cancer, the other with severe/rapid liver failure. Both times at the vets they perked up and almost became young and healthy again:(
Anyways, experience is always a good thing - next time you'll know for sure you know Ben better than any expert opinion. In the meantime love and courage to you to and hang in there until he comes bouncing back to you xx

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Sorry he is lame.
My only thought if he had treatment a week ago and this week he's really really tight. Either that treatment didn't work and you might want to change your professional or the lameness is making whatever was mild not mild, or he's slipped and pulled a muscle and is completely unrelated.

I wouldn't have a saddle fitter out until he is sound and off bute, or did I misread one coming out and it's after the ten days of bute by then?

How old is he MP? I don't think horses "get" KS....I think they either have it or they don't (but I will be corrected on this as that's only my understanding) If Ben only has recent problems, I wouldn't think that it is.

Poor boy, you must be worried sick. I hope it is all resolved soon xxx

He is 14 now. I don't know anything about kissing spines and am refusing to let myself google it because it will just get me into a state!

Sending healing vibes and hugs to you and lovely Ben.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing please don't feel bad it's not like you thought there may be a problem and didn't get it looked into. If a professional is telling you all fine then why would you ignore, it's what we pay for. It does show how well you know him so trust your instincts. If vet noticed back pain and physio didn't I would be tempted to try another physio, maybe your vet could recommend someone.

It's so easy when we love them to worry too much and think the worse, I was the same about Lottie. Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it and I'm sure with the help of vet and physio you will.

Oh yes, the old physio is out and a new physio is in!!! It just so happens that a good friend at mine on the yard who has an event horse had booked her physio for Monday (tomorrow) morning. I had actually been thinking about getting Ben seen by her at the next visit anyway. When my vet came on Thursday he said that it would be really great if he could get a physio appointment in the next few weeks. I mentioned the name of the physio my friend uses and his face lit up and he said that he has worked with her on several occasions and she is fantastic. I phoned her in tears on Thursday and quite literally begged her to see Ben as well. She agreed to come early so we have a 7:30am appointment in the morning. I have researched her extensively on the internet and it seems she has an excellent reputation and is very honest. One good thing is that as my vet has referred us for physio I can claim her (rather large!!) fee on my insurance claim. It also confuses me how costs for physios vary so much. I guess that if you can demand a higher fee then it shows you are in demand and hopefully good at your job.

Reactions: Lissie and Jessey
Sorry he is lame.
My only thought if he had treatment a week ago and this week he's really really tight. Either that treatment didn't work and you might want to change your professional or the lameness is making whatever was mild not mild, or he's slipped and pulled a muscle and is completely unrelated.

I wouldn't have a saddle fitter out until he is sound and off bute, or did I misread one coming out and it's after the ten days of bute by then?

I think that the treatment was not suitable for the problem. I do rate bowen therapy for certain issues, but this problem runs deeper than that - my mistake was that I asked if he needed further treatment and/or phsyio and she said no. I should have trusted myself. But then again, it was only a week ago and I was considering further treatment, so perhaps I need to stop beating myself up.

He has been flinching since he came back into work in mid January after a Christmas break and only being in light work in November/December. My dad has been seriously ill so I have been away looking after him and Ben had to take a back seat for a while. I don't know the reason behind his pain. It is not because he has been working too hard because when the problem started he had done very little for 2 months. Perhaps he injured himself in the field? Or perhaps he has changed shape and his saddle is now a terrible fit or causing him problems? Maybe one of the saddles has a broken tree? I just want to eliminate the obvious problems before the vet comes back to reassess. I have a good relationship with my saddler and have explained that I can't ride and he can't move, but I still want her to look at the saddles and check for obvious problems. If it is the saddle causing the pain, she should be able to spot it by just putting the saddle on him.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh no, hope hes feeling better soon :( so hard and horrible not knowing what to do and people saying different things, its mind blowing and so stressful! Hope u get your answers soon xx

newrider.com