Fell off on a hackj

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
Oops!!

My friend and I went for a hack today. We did a circular route and then decided to go for a canter. I have not cantered Caymen out on a hack since I got him so wanted to go uphill for our first time. We hacked past the yard and I then left my friend to go down the hill. He was a total sloth and I was working hard to keep him going. I got to the bottom and turned him round to canter back up.

I dont really know what happened but we had a bit of an argument and I fell off. I think he was as confused as me!:giggle:
Then the hard part... he is quite big so I had to scrabble my way back on and it was in no way graceful!!

Well, I managed back on and we cantered back up the hill.:biggrin:

Then one of the horses in the field started charging about and Caymen was getting really excited so off we went round the block for a cool down before I turned him out for a few hours.

Woopsie! Hope you're not stiff and sore today. It sounds as though you took it all in your stride anyway. Presumably Caymen was a good boy and stayed with you too? Or do you possess that skill that I've never been able to master and manage to hang on to the reins? Well done for getting back on and having your canter!

Doh! Never mind, you got your first canter in and an exciting and memerable hack so mission completed.

I fell off Joy the first time I hacked her out and cantered on my own. She spooked at a bird flying out of the hedge when we were going a fair rate of knots and I went out the side door. It was the first day I had her on loan and it didn't put me off as I bought her 6 weeks later. We are now 4 years on and *touch wood* I've haven't come off her again since :smoke:

I fell off Ziggy the first time I cantered him out, too! And the second time!

Perhaps it's a rite of passage thing...

Well done you for scrambling back on, Zigs is only 14.1 so with a tree stump I'm fine :smug:

Well done for getting back on and finishing the cantering. I have fallen off Izzy cantering, not on a hack, but numerous times in our haylage field.

I am so understanding your lack of grace while getting back on. My mounting from the ground out and about always provide Thelwell moments and much amusement for my friends.

Ouch - hope your not sore from your fall. *Touches wood frantically* But I'm yet to take a fall from my horse and I've had him 3 years, but it'll happen one day.

At least you lot can mount from the ground ! I have no excuse as my horse is only 15.2/3 but I havent managed to mount from the ground since I was probably 14 ! :giggle:

Main thing is you are both OK:wink:

Bonus is with all the rain it was probably a relatively 'soft' landing lol, and
I shouldn't worry about how you looked scrambling back on........You
GOT ON, lol, thats the main thing:wink:

Ahh at least you are OK.

My main worry when I used to hack my boy out was that if I came off he would disappear into the sunset LOL. I don't think he would stand around.

Oh and the getting back on bit I sympathise. I would have to find a log or something to use as a block as at 5'3" and Victory 16hh and me not being very agile there is no way I could get on from the ground!!

Glad you got back to the yard safely.

Thanks eveyone. I'm feeling fine this morning so can put it down to experience. Caymen just stood their looking puzzled as to why I was sitting on the ground! I did hold onto reins but I let go of them as he panicked last time and thats how he ended up standing on them and snapping them!

I also lost my stirrup in my excitement of actually cantering him in the end. Not my best riding ever but I guess it can only get better!

Ooops - was it one of those "how did i get down here?" moments?

Glad to hear you are both ok though! and well done for cantering him out :)

Glad your OK CMP - very impressed you managed to get back on again - I have had to walk quite long distances in the past to find a log or high bank when I have had unplanned dismounts! And what a good boy to stand and wait for you to gather your dignity and carry on with the hack!:smile:

Oops! But well done for getting back on! I hate having to get back on as a couple I've ridden have been silly about letting you get back on and as soon as your bum touched the saddle they were off!

And then you still had your canter! Well done you!! :playfull:

newrider.com