Fence Walking

Kevin

Apr 22, 2015
West Waterford
New to forums in general so apologies if this is posted in the incorrect location.

We have recently adopted a rescue horse [Gem] and she is in a paddock next to George our Shetland. George is a gelding and very easy going and there were no immediate problems with either party.

However yesterday evening Gem started pacing back and forth along the fence, when George was placed into her paddock she continued to walk the fence. She looks anxious and as though she is attempting to get over the fence.

She is about to come into season and I was wondering if the fence walking was part of a this or is it a culmination of a number of events recently?

Waiting to hear back from the vet to have her checked to make sure she is not in pain.

Thank you.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
A bit more back ground on gem might help, but fence walking is generally because a horse wants to get somewhere, to a friend, to their feed, to their stable etc, it could possibly be hormone related if there is a stallion near by she'd like to get to? Fence walking is an anxiety response generally so the cause will need to be addressed, finding the cause is the tough bit :p

Kevin

Apr 22, 2015
West Waterford
Thank you for your reply.

Gem is a rescue horse and has spend the last 10 months at a rescue centre, she was abandoned in a forest and unable to walk as it appears that she fell through the floor of a horse box - that is what we were told by the rescue centre and have seen the pictures. Where we are living there are a lot of horses and probably a stallion nearby. She starts to relax once she sees you approach and will come to you.

When I got home yesterday she was 'weaving' at the fence. She has not worked herself into a sweat as of yet.

I will try to find the cause.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Oo poor lass that sounds horrific. I wonder if humans could also be a cause, being in the rescue that long and obviously getting lots of attention, is she perhaps doing it only when you are approaching? If that's the case the best thing is to get her friends with your other horse and not give attention when she does it.

Kevin

Apr 22, 2015
West Waterford
Yes she had constant attention due to her wounds and there were always people about.

She seems to be wearing quite a track inside the fence. She was doing it first thing when I checked her from the house this morning but was up the field eating when I leaving for work. In the meantime I had checked been up the field to her and George who does not seem fazed by anything.

Again thank you for your replies. And we will try to avoid giving her attention when she does it.

Reactions: Jessey

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well at least George sounds a laid back character, I'm sure this will help your new girl. Hopefully some of his chill vibes will rub off on her. Sounds like she's had a tough time.

Reactions: Kevin

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Poor thing - what a horrendous background she has. I would imagine that she is probably feeling rather stressed in a new home and with new company. All the minor stress issues she is showing might well settle in a week or two. I am sure George will soon be her best buddy.:)

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
One of the horses in our field is a 15yo mare, a solid, reliable horse with a steady history. She's a very dominant mare but never stroppy with people.

If she can't see other horses she fence walks as you describe and wears a big track in the grass. I wonder if there is another horse that your mare is yearning for, whom your companion has not yet replaced? Do you know which other horses she lived with in the rescue centre?

It's very upsetting to see them in distress, I understand entirely why you want to comfort her.

Kevin

Apr 22, 2015
West Waterford
I will contact the rescue centre to see if she was with another particular horse regularly.

She seems to have calmed slightly, she was pacing last night and this morning but not as constant and when we are in the field checking the fences etc she seems relaxed.

George seems to hop from one paddock to another whenever he decides wants but she can see him at all times.