Field problems ( Update, post 20)

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So I am wondering what you all would do.

I know this isn't enough space but currently the horses are in .. I would say around a 2 acres field, split into 1/3 and 2/3rds . A 12.2 hh has the 2/3 and ours have the 1/3.

Sox is in with another horse and two other ponies. The field there in the for the summer is much smaller then there previously field , that they were in for winter. Sox has been chasing around the youngest pony in the field, really going for him. . The YO said in regards to the field situation to separate sox off from the others, according to what one of the other liveries told me on the phone tonight. I told the other livery apart from possible upsetting sox and increasing the need for him to crib. It wont solve anything . As you will then have 3 ponies in a very small area with even less space and increasing the conflict. Sox is now used to been in a herd. I have said from the off there are too many horses. I did say to one of the other girls about us needing to put hay out in the field. Though apparently this may increase the conflict. I told her K the reason he is going for her horse is he is now the bottom of the picking order and there isn't enough space, so if they do fall out they cant get away from each other, also there ist a lot of food for them. There hungry.

Also I found out tonight, trying to bite one of the girls as she walks past to feed her horse who is stabled next door, which I have never heard him do before. I said that would be to do with the space, sox sees his stable and his feed, when he is eating as his and his only, anyone going past could be a threat. I have told K there is nothing I can do until Tuesday( work ) however separating sox isn't going to solve the issue. I will be asking the YO if our 3 , the 3 geldings can go in the larger of the two fields, were there is more space and grass and the 12.2 and the older pony (27) can go in the smaller field. I know its not the best. I am hoping to also go and have a loom around another yard as well on Tuesday.

There seems to be so much tension at the moment in the field. I feel for all of them

What would you all do?

Swapping the fields does sound like a good first plan, but if they just moved fields you may find things settle down anyway within a week or two, even a field change with their buddies can upset sensitive souls.
Re trying to bite people walking past, can you put a top grill up or perhaps fabricate a curtain for while he's eating? A horse lunging at people teeth bared is a serious accident waiting to happen.

I agree that the conflict is down to too many horses on too little land. Resources are scarcer so they are more likely to be aggressive with each other, plus, as you say, they can't move away as they would do with more space so the usual option of lots of gestures and squealing but not much actual physical contact can't happen because the lower ranked horses aren't able to move out of the space of the more dominant ones. It's not just an injury risk, I would imagine it also causes tension in the horses who as a rule hate conflict. Adding hay would make it worse. I think moving fields is a good option if the YP agrees. But if not then I honestly don;t know what you should do. Personally turn out is a massive issue for me. I consider my horse to have 3 basic needs: forage, space and company. I could live without an arena, without a stable, without hard feed! But not without those. So I would never agree to separate my horse away from others, including being in a neighbouring field separated by tape. That isn't a solution because it still means they can;t play, mutually groom etc. As for the biting, maybe he is more protective of food at the moment because he is having to fight for it all the time?

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I might actually try putting a curtain if some sort up so he can eat in peace. However he does crib as well. I have never known him to lunge at people and no has mentioned this until recently. So I haven't been aware.

I agree with you. With him biting with the feed. He is an ex racer and always been protective over feed and I have always respected that. But out in the field there isn't alot of grass. It's so hard.

So there are 4 horses in about 3/4 acre? That's just too small a paddock. I wouldn't have my horse in such a small crowded space, it's just asking for trouble. I would be looking for a bigger paddock for him.

Reactions: KP nut
Silly question, but why split at all. Why can't the five have all of the two acres. Its still not ideal but they are not so on top of one another.
Is this the summer field as you say its even smaller than the winter. The winter doesn't sound big enough either.

MP: yeah that's correct I would say. I am hoping to look at a yard but sadly the word is from a friend who used.to be there that it's not very nice and the liveries get to decide which horses go in what field etc. The only other option I have is full livery but I don't like full livery. Always been DIY not many yard around here turn out in groups and to actually find a yard that had more acres of fields then horses is very rare!

NF; I aren't sure really. It was already split when I came. Yes this is the summer field. I would guess the winter field for both the YO horses and ours is 4 acres. Split into 2 acres a piece.

I have spoken to a few of the other liveries and they agree about the lack of space. But at the same time believes the YO wont let us swap.In regards to sox biting when in the stable the girl said it started a few weeks ago and around 3-4 weeks ago they moved fields.

I have come down tonight to find the bigger field sectioned off to let the grass go. Not sure what to do. None of the horses are happen.

My suggestion would be to move.
If you only moved a month ago to summer grazing where has all the grass gone. If it's been eaten already it needs supplementing with hay that the yard pays for.
Technically if there is no grass a yard should have more to move everyone or provide hay.

Are you saying there are five horses split over six acres? It doesn't sound well maintained as that's plenty.

Basically the 4 acres which is the winter field is split in half so one side is for the YO horses (she used to have another 2 horses) and the other side is for the liveries which is the 4 of us. The summer grazing is a different field further down split into 2/3rd and 1/3rd. The 2/3rd been for the YO horses which is now home to a 12.2 and the 1/3rd by us. There is grass. But the shoots are short. I think it's more the space.
Only recently has the YO sold her other two horses so throughout winter we have 7 horses on a 4 acres field . The reason we moved them was due to the not been alot of grass. If we was to pop hay our in the field wouldn't that cause more tension?

If we was to pop hay our in the field wouldn't that cause more tension?

In such a small area I suspect it would. I always put out double the amount of piles of hay to the number of horses and have never had any problems, but they would be well spaced out and plenty of room to avoid each other and find somewhere else to settle and eat if one of them gets bolshy.

In that very small area someone is going to get hurt one way or the other, with or without hay being given IMO.:(

I'd move. There isn't enough grazing for the amount of horses present and they are hungry hence the carry on.

My field has five horses in it of which Kia is the smallest and the field is 10 acres. It has been used all last summer, it was even topped last summer three times and was used all winter and this was it Friday after being rolled last weekend

I would not keep Kia himself in a field any less than an acre and a half and I wouldn't keep two horses on any less than 2.5acres it's just asking for trouble.

It doesn't sound like a livery yard to me, more of a person with a bit of extra grass trying to make a quick buck. At best they have room for two liveries based on what you have said.
Logic tells you, you can't keep four horses in half the space that two live in.

Hungry horses get aggressive with each other.

I know. They have YO works part time and her OH works full time. I hae said from the off if you have 6 acres have 3 horses. There isn't many yards around here that have group turnout though.

The old rule was 1.5 acres for the first horse and 1 acre for each additional one for them to live out 24/7, so by that rule 5 horses on 6 acres should be fine but I guess the way it is divided is the issue. I assume the YO won't let her horses in with the liveries? then they could have the full 2 acres at least, giving them more chance to get away from each other?

So I have only just got back. I left the yard at 11 to go and see if I could find a suitable yard.
Yard A was full , but I didn't like the set up or the fact there was 2 horses in a bare field with 2 bales of hay in a small 'field. I would have said it was suitable for a Shetland, not 2 large ponies. Also attached to some of the stables was like a little pen, a smallish space , with a haynet. Unsure whether they have a school , quite far away from home (20-40mins)
Yard B, I went there before to have a look around and they wasn't keen on sox cribbing and I wasnt happy as the stables were small. It would have been tight for sox. School can only be used 3 times a week. ( Around 15 mins from home)
Yard C Is a DIY , they don't overcrowd their fields, small yard and school, CCTV YO on site However liveries basically take control of it all. YO takes a step back. Yard around 15 mins from home
Yard D Is a large yard, generally horses are by themselves but there is lots of grass, well maintained field and knowledgeable staff and YO. You can go in pairs but the fields aren't that much bigger, but grass is good. Well maintained school, lunging area and horse walker. CCTV , YO on site who does late night checks. Only part and full spaces free. Hacking is good. Yard around 10 mins from home.
Yard E is a part livery yard, smallish yard, around 16 horses, YOs Dad feeds and either turns outs if gives them a haynet in a morning. Good school, hay included with price. Yard has open and close times. YO can be difficult. Turnout in herds, 247 in summer, limited or no turnout in winter. Hacking poor. Depending on traffic ( 15-30 mins)

newrider.com