Fighting through stable grills

Bertie

Nov 6, 2003
South Manchester, UK
Visit site
I just wanted to ask some advice about my current situation. I have just moved my horse into a new stable supposedly to make life easier and nicer for all concerned but it appears that it is not the case :(

She has moved into a indoor stable, with an external window out onto the yard and an internal window into the passage way, she is in a bigger stable and is generally loving her new home. However, her neighbour isn't that keen, the 1st day she had an absolute fit at mine, whalloping the walls continuously with her feet, bum, throwing herself at the grill partition (they can see each other but not get to each other). At first my mare just ignored her but not one to be bullied is starting to retaliate now especially when food is around (we all feed at different times).

The YO suggested we put up a rug between them to cover half the grill so there was an area of peace for both and gradually we will reduce, once they get to know to each other. This is working to a degree.

My problem is that my mare is getting the blame for all this and being branded the "bad egg" as the other horse is a rescue, so we have to tip toe round it (which I have no problem with), I don't raise my voice when near her cos she always shouted at in rpevious home etc. I have offered them to tie my mare up when the other owner is in the other stable (as she is nervous when her horse flys round) etc to help ease the problem. But they say no it's fine to my face and then suggest otherwise to others.

Am I being over sensitive?? Can you suggest anything else that might help with situation??

The rug idea does sound good if it will work.

Personally I would talk to the other owner, if she is telling you one thing and then other liveries something else then I would confront her with this. Ask her what she wants to do, it could be that she doesn't want to upset you by asking you to tie yours up. Or she doesn't want to cause friction :)

I think I would get some cheap kyboard and cover the grill entirely. She can see other hroses from her windows - she clearly doesn't *want* to see this mare next door -- it's stressing both of them out.

Thanks, I spoke to them yesterday and went over and said "I believe she's been a bit of a pest today, sorry but if you have any problems with her during this transitional period then her head collar is always in her tack room just tie her up, it's not a problem" to which I was told it's fine no no, then they all gather round the stable, with me in clear ear shot discussing how it's my horse that's creating the tension etc.

I don't know whether I'm just being a little over sensitive and paranoid and whether I should just get on with it and see how things go.

I was at a yard with similar stables for 6 mths, a few years ago and had the same thing with a horse to one side of mine. I used the rug idea and it worked to a degree though the other horse never completely gave up. It is probably some kind of herd dominence thing because the horse to her other side never bothered at all.

Rescue horses cannot dine out on that one all their life.

Horses live in the here and now, not yesterday. It's humans that apply the baggage to them and imagine they carry it round too.

If I get a bully like that I put up an electric strand, they soon calm down. ;)

newrider.com