Fighting

Drummer & Eli

Nov 1, 2007
Somerset
Eli and Drummer have started fighting pretty badly recently, thinking that i may have to split the field in two and turn them out seperate

Dont know much about why???

i have up'd their hay, it is in 2 seperate piles now miles apart, they are not grazing side by side anymore and they are really really fighting with back legs now, to the point where outsiders are now commenting on it :rolleyes: and they were both pretty grumpy to come in last night. They are not necessairly fighting around the hay either - bit randomly, maybe when one or the other go within 10 ft of each other they also kicked **** out of each other last weekend when they spotted up going to get them :confused:

Might just be sroting out ranks. either drummer or eli might be wanting to move up a notch and the other is saying no. This happened every spring between the horses on my last yard usually instigated by my mare Megan as she had he eye on Cassies lead mare position :rolleyes:

It will sort itself out I would imagine once one or the other has backed down.

Hope neither of them is too stubborn about it tho!!!

Nikki xxxx

so not split them up yet?

only 2 of them in the field

Eli 'MAY' be backing down

they really acting like they wanna kill each other at the mo, and they not grazing together anymore either lol

No I wouldnt separate them as that will just make them worse I'm afraid.

One will back down eventually. hopefully without serious injury!!!

Nikki xxxx

I think Eli is finding his feet and we know how Drummer likes to be boss of all he surveys. I think just leave them to it. I think people try to humanise horses to much, let them sort it out and hope one of them doesn't get a nasty smack in the chops in the process. We both know Drummer will win.

I'd put hay out in lots of piles rather than just 2 cos if there is no grass just these 2 piles of hay then i'd say thats probably the cause especially if they haven't done it before. Also if piles are too close as they can get very protected of the hay.

We have been able to feed a herd with hay but only if hay was spread out so they had room to move. In the begining they'd chase and kick but soon settled down when they realised there was enough to go round. Again i'd second the others and don't split them

:)

ok wont split them up (although another month and they will be split up in one field till autum, cos D gets fat)

Eli is new to us. Bobbin you would be surprised out of the last 3 horses D has not been top dog.

Eli came, D would not let him come near me. Eli would not fight but would NOT move his feet, he would just stand firm

Then Eli became top dog

Now i think D is trying

I have just moved my two to a field on their own. J has always been the more dominant and has never really been violent towards Dyl, but would send him away with a quick show of his teeth and body language. Last week they were eating their dinner together and Dyl just seemed to snap! He lunged at J with his teeth, really sharply. Me and J were both quite shocked and since then, although i have seen J have a go at Dyl still, J is quite wary of him and will get out of his way fairly sharply.

Which one of yours is the oldest? which one biggest? My two seem to have settled down again, funny things though!

Hi

Sounds like they are just doing the normal herd thing- I would love my horse to be with others as it is the best for them- They will sort the pecking order out and do have self preservation as an instinct- one will back off - I took one of my horses to a herd of 10 :eek: Very scary for first 2 weeks but they were barefoot so no major injuries:eek: He did settle in very quickly and had a ball- doing what horses should do when lucky enough to have horse company:)

they have been together for 3 months

Drums is 13 and 14.1
Eli is 5 and 15.2

Drums is the one trying to be top dog now (was Eli i think in the first instance)

newrider.com