Find me an excuse to keep my new little foster pony!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I would like to introduce you to Eammon who has now joined my little band of Dublin mafia for a few months.

I have stupidly fallen hook line and sinker for this very special little pony.....he is about 13 hands, 3 years old and has the most gentle and biddable temperament I have ever come across in an equine, thought to possibly be Connemara cross. Add to that he moves like a ballerina and floats like an Arab and is very pretty too!

So to justify to Mr. Cortrasna, applying to adopt him to be my entertainment in my old (even older!) age, what class do you think he would fit into showing (in hand as no jockey) . I have an offer from a very good friend to train him as a driving pony, but I am not sure how much use I would get driving him as our lanes are now rather dangerous and narrow around this way unfortunately. I am fairly confident I still have the ability to break him and train him for showing or even right up to backing him, but would rather not back him as that means the responsibility of finding and looking after a junior rider.

I have only ever shown hairy traditionals or Arabs - so all thoughts and ideas welcome please. Sorry pics not very good but bossy and very jealous little Kieran kept chasing him off as I tried to take pics. :rolleyes:IMG_20160928_142928.jpg IMG_20160928_143037.jpg

Show as you would for Arab and Traditional, simple :)
No plaiting, leave natural but tidy. Probably dark trousers so the judge see the legs, tweed jacket or waistcoat.
Maybe a nice blue if it doesn't look washed out against the coat
You might even be able to do coloured classes?
But you look mountain and moorland type.

Do you think he would fit in the Mountain and Moorland classes newforest? Even more enthralled with the idea if I can keep him natural......my attempts at plaiting have never been good lol! I shall now go and research what level of competition for showing M & Ms over here. :)

Yes local level here is any native type. We have unregistered or part bred classes at local level inhand.
For the size he is a lightweight adult could ride, you needn't worry about young jockeys.

He is very M&M looking - you could show him in M&M at local shows over here without any breeding.

There ought to be "Rescue pony" classes!

Jane I think some of the larger shows do have rescue classes...they would be perfect for him I think as he would really advertise the type of gorgeous pony or horse we have over here in all the many rescue centres through out Ireland. Perhaps that is the way I need to go with himself. ;)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Inhand coloured based on those pictures.

Better pictures of him standing up front back and side would be good to establish build. Unless he has proven Arab blood I wouldn't go near those classes personally.

Depending on bone and build will say what other classes will be available.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Inhand coloured based on those pictures.

Better pictures of him standing up front back and side would be good to establish build. Unless he has proven Arab blood I wouldn't go near those classes personally.

Depending on bone and build will say what other classes will be available.

Not a drop of Arab blood at all Mr C - just used it to describe his action. Yes pictures not great at all, moving them to another field over the weekend so will get some better close up pics then.

In hand coloured I am a bit wary of as from my experience showing in the UK the blue and whites (well then anyway) were rather shunned in the line up as they were not considered a true 'coloured' horse, colour too wishy washy and considered to be the 'fading' gene, which of course it very often is. etc.....probably could of got away with it over here back in the day, but they are getting more fussy in their showing these days

I will post some more pics after this weekend and look forward to any ideas based on close up pics. :)

Seen a few nice blue and whites cob types do well :)

Judges preference will always out, I was always told that a good judge should judge them as a solid before a coloured so if he's well put together, moves as you say and is turn d out to type then if a decent judge they shouldn't prejudice. :)

Reactions: Cortrasna
have you any local driving clubs? local level driving club events are lots of fun!

newrider.com