Finding a trailer trainer

Safedrive Steev

Nov 23, 2009
Just outside Derby, UK
There are not that many trailer trainers out there so your choice may be limited but don't be afraid to ask for a reference from previous clients.

Also be aware, daft that this may sound, there is no formal qualification for being a trailer trainer (nor HGV or PSV for that matter) - it is only car instructors that MUST be DSA registered, so literally anyone who is pre 1997 or has had the towing licence for 3 years or more can set themselves up as a trainer.

You have been warned.

We used a DSA car instructor who also trained commercial firm staff for the trailer test and he go daughter through test after a days training (she had been towing under supervision for about 3 months).

He then recommended one of his friends for her HGV training and got her C test in 5 days having never driven a lorry before. (she did admit driving a 12t Scania around Nottingham was the scariest thing she had ever done the first day!!)

I would certainly go with personal recommendation , we visited one widely advertised firm and were totally put off by the sniggering of the office staff about a young blond wanting to drive a truck :stomp:

Finding a trainer

EML - exactly as it should be done.

As for the company that sniggered - stuff 'em. Nestle use women fork lift truck drivers because they are more careful. When a pallet is worth several thousands of pounds care is what you need.

Women make fantastic drivers and in these days of power assisted everything strength long since ceased to be a requirement.

Good driving is all about planning and anticipation, particularly when moving horses.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information, my daughter has been asking to do the test.

One extra consideration, certainly for me. She has only ever driven a driving school car and the Micra I gave her for her birthday.

I think she need considerable experience in driving a large 4 x 4 before she even considers hitching a trailer to it. I have been driving for many years and own a car and a Disco (only used for towing) and still find it takes me a while to get the hang of the handling, braking etc on the Disco if I haven't driven it for a month or so.

I have heard people on the yard considering borrowing a 4 x 4 and trailer to do the test, IMO an accident waiting to happen. What do you think

Driving larger vehicles

Totally agree - there is a marked difference between the way smaller cars and larger (and often higher) cars do.

Not sure about other companies but we are happy to use clients own vehicles and trailers if this is sensible.

I have been badgering DSA for some years now to get the 'empty trailer' rule removed.

Test is being revised in 2013 to include loaded trailers.

newrider.com