Finding a trainer/groundwork person?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Where/how would I go about finding a trainer/groundwork person?

Needn't follow a particular method or be a 'pro' could be just someone with experience of youngsters/ in hand showing.

I don't really want a Monty Roberts Associate as I don't really like/follow his methods.

I have been inspired, however, by Richard Maxwell/Parelli/Clinton Anderson/Mark Rashid sort of methods as well as the more 'trad'

My rising 2yr old has a good concept of basic manners, picking up feet etc and is good in a area she knows but I want to start walking her out/ local shows. She lacks confidence in walking out and misbehaves a bit when we get out of the safety of the paddock. She is also hitting the troublesome two year old stage and has just started having seasons which can make her more of a baggage although not mareish. I can sort it out myself but as I'm on a yard on my own I'd like a bit of guidance/someone to give ME confidence and help my abilities. I'm hoping it could be someone interested in coming at different periods in Piccolo's education.

What would I normally be expected to be charged and where would I find someone? (Any age considered, teenager upwards)

Y

Yann

It's fair enough if you don't want an RA, but all I would say is that with most of the ones I've seen working myself you don't get Monty Roberts, far from it. They're Intelligent Horsemanship Recommended Associates, not Monty Roberts Associates, and that does make a difference.

Other than that you either have to pay for a 'name', or rely on word of mouth and personal recommendations, there are lots of good trainers out there.

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
It's fair enough if you don't want an RA, but all I would say is that with most of the ones I've seen working myself you don't get Monty Roberts, far from it. They're Intelligent Horsemanship Recommended Associates, not Monty Roberts Associates, and that does make a difference.

Other than that you either have to pay for a 'name', or rely on word of mouth and personal recommendations, there are lots of good trainers out there.

Hi :)

I probably didn't word it very well......I don't mind a IH RA but would need them to know how I would want to work. I think Monty Roberts is good at what he does but I don't particularly like the Dually and wouldn't want to buy one. I'm worried a RA would want one as its their 'tool of the trade'?

I would like someone to work alongaside the methods I've chosen to use but to give me support/confidence/ideas really.

If I was on a livery yard I probably wouldn't want/need anyone as just having people around gives me extra confidence but as I'm not, I feel it could help.

Like with most youngsters I have days that are 99.9% perfect with Pic and sometimes (particularly when doing something new) those days are 45% good.

I don't lack confodence in her and she doesn't scare me but I lack confidence in my own abilities if that makes sense. (which it probably doesn't):eek::eek::eek:

Y

Yann

I think you have one local to you, why not speak to her about it? I don't think not using a dually would be an issue, a training halter of any kind just makes things a bit easier and clearer but they're not essential. You'd certainly get the practical common sense advice you're after I would have thought.

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I think you have one local to you, why not speak to her about it? I don't think not using a dually would be an issue, a training halter of any kind just makes things a bit easier and clearer but they're not essential. You'd certainly get the practical common sense advice you're after I would have thought.

Thanks, I'll have a nosey and see if I can find the one round here. I know of one but don't know she'd come out as far as me.

Any idea on how much they charge?

Pic does have a knotted halter (non closing) halter that we use.

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
where abouts are you ????

i in suffolk and i have had a great trainer up to my lad - £40 hour and def worth is as works with you as well as the horse

Hi Would be interested in knowing details:)

I'm on the Essex/Suffolk border in a village just outside Colchester (5 mins drive from colchester)

leno289

Feb 10, 2005
lowestoft suffolk
not sure if she would come out that far to be honest and i am sure if she did it would have to be more to cover her expenses - would you like me to call her and maybe see if she knows anyone around your area or even if she will go that far - i now she is very busy and does alot of schooling and training etc as well as her own horses

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
cant rec one in your area but if it helps, the one up here charges £40 per hour. Just to give your an idea of costs) - hate to think what she's charge you in mileage to travel the 400 miles down to you!;)

Bay Mare

www.maggieslaw.co.uk
Jun 21, 2004
In my jods!
www.geocities.com
I would definitely recommend an RA. They are very much Kelly Marks and not Monty. They won't be pushing you to buy a Dually, they're very open minded and work with the horse AND the owner. Have a look on the IH website as I'm not sure what they'll charge in your area. The one who came to us was very reasonable, though, about the price of a riding lesson.