Finding new hacking?

Gothika

Aug 20, 2005
At one point in the summer I want to trailer Lacey over to somewhere new and go for a really really long ride and take a picnic and everything. Only I don't understand maps.

So I was wondering, does anyone know a website which has like routes listed on it? Or guide books? Like you can buy those books with walking routes so I'm sure there must be a bridlepath one?

Where I live there is a leaflet produced by the local council which has several cicular hacking routes. Might be worth giving yours a call and see if yours has something similar. Or learn to read maps :p.

I can sort of read maps, but I can never find bridlepaths on it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. :D

Get a map for the area you want to ride in ( one that has the bridlepaths marked) and spend some time at home beforehand tracing over the route and the bridleways with an orange highlighter pen. That way when you are out and about, you don't have to spend ages trying to figure out which of those splodgy little lines are the bridleways.

If you get an ordanance survey map that will have the bridle ways and byways marked on it.There is a key at the bottom of the map telling you what is bridleways etc.You can pick them up in most book shops they are very good.

The ordance survey explorer map for my area shows little or no bridle paths for a short hack.

Speaking with other riders in our area and chatting at the tack shop led us to find areas we just didn't know was accessable to us.

In fact where my yard is was created about 10 years ago and still shows the old farming fields layout.

Maps are ok as a starting point but I found out nothing I didn't already know. You can't beat just chatting with other riders for new ideas :)

newrider.com