Finding the ideal sharer

Bimbambo

Bea - My Boy Freddy's Mum
May 16, 2006
Essex
For those pony/horse owners who have shares..........

What did you do to find the perfect share, or attempt to? Have decided to put Freddy up for share 2/3 days a week to help with costs but also to keep him excercised on the nights that we can't get to the yard.

My only concern is that we won't find someone with enough experience and our fab little show jumper might pick up bad habits.

Will I get enough replies to be able to be picky about who we share with??

Any suggestions/comments?

xx:) :)

Best thing to do is have lots of different people come and see him. Anyone who's interested and roughly OK (i.e can ride) should come and have a visit.

It gives you an idea of what you actually want and need and a better chance of finding it- I found that what I thought I wanted from a sharer wasn't actually what I needed. . Some people don't come across well over the phone but might be ideal so it's a shame to turn them down.

Letting someone have one shot on him isn't going to do him any harm and it's nice to let others enjoy the horses as much as you do (presumably you aren't one of these selfish, over-protective owners who doesn't let others so much as touch their horse;)). And then you can see how you feel about them - when it's the right person you will know cos you'll be desperate that they say they like him and want to share;) and conversly you'll know if they'e not as you'll feel relieved if they say he's not for them.

Set out some requirements and go from there. Think about the size and weight of rider you want (if he's a pony there will need to be a weight limit), the age (younger riders aren't always a bad thing.) and the ability - i.e the can walk/trot/canter/jump. And confidence is also important. Oh, and what days they can do/can they afford it. Other than that, don't be too fussy initially - make further decisions based on how they get on with the pony.

When you do have someone to see him, let them do everything with him and just get on with it themselves. Then at the end say you have a couple of others interested and you'll let them know at the end of the week. Then have them back again to make sure before making your mind up. It would then be worth having a months trial and keeping the names and numbers of anyone else who was interested, just in case;)

I've had loads of people come to see Brodie and eventually found the perfect people - kind and gentle but firm enough to work with him, and very reliable and hard-working. And they get on with all the other liveries and regually go out riding with them.

But there were loads of unsuitable people who sounded OK on the phone - a couple were far too heavy for him, a lot were far to quiet and nicey-nicey (he's a big bully) and some were just too novice. But one of the girls I now have sounded totally unsuitable and far too young (she's only 13) but is actually really good - she has restrictions of what she's allowed to do with him without an adult but is sensible and reliable.

As for will you get enough - yes - sharer are very sought after. Unless he's an idiot and needs a very specific rider/handler don't be too specific with the ad and you should get quite a few people interested - then you can narrow it down. Unless the price is high - but if you said something like 'pay of shoes' you should get a lot of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Pinks Lady said pretty much is everything you need to know!

Make sure you get on with the sharer an that your horse does too. I once had a sharer but really really didnt like her, she looked after Pride fine but used to talk to me as if Pride was hers and tried to change things. The sharer i have now is really nice, i get on with her, Pride gets on with her and so do people on the yard. If you meet with the people a few times to get to know them, it's a lot easier to trust that they will look after your horse well.

Good luck with it and i'm sure you'll get loads of replies :)

I'm in the same boat as you (ish)
cept I'm gona want someone for 4/5 days a week!
Long term as well, for a few years.

Long term as well, for a few years.

You will be hard pushed to find someone for the real long term - 6months would be fine but a couple of years is unlikly - people want to move on, often buying their own.

You'll probably end up going through a couple of sharers to begin with until you'll find someone perfect and then have it again a while later. But that's part of sharering your horse and it's not too bad - you just have to accept and expect it. It's only stressful if you make it so - if you do what I did and think of it as meeting new people and getting someone else to love your horse as much as you do (lucky horse - two people who adore him;)) you'll be fine. It's not the end of the world if they're not right and it doesn't work out after a month - it's a learning experience, one month of more money, one month of someone giving your horse lots of attention and making a fuss of them and you just move on and look again.

Great replies guys!

All makes perfect sense and as you say it will be important to see lots of people to determine which are good and which are not so!!!!

My daughter does a bit of everything on him, but her passion (and Freddy's) is jumping!! However I am not specifically looking for someone to do the same - I would be more than prepared for a happy hacker to enjoy some relaxed time with him and not want to jump at all.

I am pretty sure that we would be nice owners to any sharer, particularly on the basis that we have been sharers ourselves, TWICE!! so know what issues upset us and what worked well.

So far I have put 2 ads on the net but have heard nothing. Any ideas about any other ways to find people?:confused:

Sharing

Hi i would just like to say that i have 3 sharers for all 3 of my horses all with defferent experiance e.t.c. My lazy cob is very safe but likes to nap when being schooled i wanted a sharer but thought that they could make his napping worse so i advertised for an experianced rider. Many people came to try him out but none treated him like i did apart from a 14 year old, novice, 1st time loaner. At first i had my doubts but decided there would be no harm in letting her come to see him. I have to say its been the decision i have ever made. Emily has built all her confidence up and learned everything she knows on paddy. She did not make his napping worse infact made him better as he knew she was nervous and looked after her not napping once during the hole ride. Paddy has now stopped his napping and Emily loves Paddy and i let her treat him as if he is her own on her days. They have both created a bond and it is great being able to trust someone with my horse as much as i do emily x

If you've got the time, have a look around on websites where people wanting to share advertise. You can generally tell a fair bit from the advert the potential sharers place, and you might save yourself some time and hassle :)

are sharers like boyfriends?

Hi - just wanted to say that I am looking for a share and I know LOADS of people who are but cant find any then I hear of people on the threads who want a sharer but cant find one:confused: :confused:

It is very time consuming but like boyfriends/husbands - we dont all find the right one straight away:p KEEP LOOKING WE ARE OUT THERE!!

BECKS

If you know any good RI's, or of a good RS you could try advertising there. I know most people want someone with a bit more experience that obtained just in a RS, and it sounds as though you certianly do. But a colleague of mine got a really good sharer that way - she got an older teenager who already worked as a weekend helper at the RS as well as being a very competent rider - she just had unhorsey parents and no hope of a loan or pony of her own so was desperate for the chance. They wanted someone who could also compete as they didn't have a suitable jockey in the family, and are delighted with the one they got, has worked out perfectly. As long as you state what ability you need you might find someone that way, there are often a lot of very capable people at a good RS (as well as clueless novices) - especially if it's a RS that encourages stable management experience too.

Would also advertise at tack shops - our local big tack shop is full of adds like that, both shares wanted and sharers wanted.

newrider.com