Finelly Cantered

Well done! Did you enjoy it?

i think the speed is going to take a bit of geting used to, i keep automacilly pulling her back. but i do want to tr it again the more i do it the more nurtal it will feel. might be time to invest in a body protector now

Reactions: Huggy
Yes - get a body protector especially if you are going to start hacking. But it sounds as if you did fine. Most of us pull back the first time. And may wobble on corners in canter.

I have a terrible fear of canter as the last time I tried I fell off going round the corner, that was 3 months ago now and my RI now thinks it's about time i gave it another go..but I'm still a bit scared..... but i think I will be until i give it another go.

Just think the more you do it the more you more used you get again and the more you wait the more scared you might become.i once fall off in trot in my 4th lesson(those days where losing my sturup in trotmeant I end up on the floor) and was a little worried about troting both in that lesson and at least one lesson afterwards) but as I had started troting again right after the fall it didn't take long to get back into. Atough I haven't fallen off in canter yet so other people might be able to offer you better avice

I would say only canter the long side and go back into walk or trot before you get to the bend. The bend is where I used to feel most unstable and would wobble badly. I actually learned canter out of the arena. Cantering in an open field on the straight gave me more confidence. In fact I still struggle after many years of riding to canter on the bend. It still frightens me.

I think the thing with those early canter corners is if we have ever learnt to ride a bike before learning to ride (most people) we are inclined to lean into the turn, where on horseback you want to continue sitting straight (to the horse who may lean a little) and ride around the corner (bend) by 'twisting' though the body (turning the torso) rather than leaning over as the horse needs to bend under you where a bike can't :) And as with any time of horseback, your body goes where your eyes go so never look at the ground (your head weighs 2kg, just by looking down it's very easy to knock your balance off), always focus on where you are going.

Reactions: carthorse
I have a terrible fear of canter as the last time I tried I fell off going round the corner, that was 3 months ago now and my RI now thinks it's about time i gave it another go..but I'm still a bit scared..... but i think I will be until i give it another go.
If you think about it, it's self preservation to be fearful, as long as it doesn't get obsessive. I've been riding for 30 odd years, and I'm still a little fearful of falling off. I just know it's not likely to happen. I agree with skib - get a body protector, and that will help, psychologically, as well as physically. Even if you only manage down the long side of the school, and don't worry about corners until you feel you're balanced.

Reactions: Trewsers
If you think about it, it's self preservation to be fearful, as long as it doesn't get obsessive. I've been riding for 30 odd years, and I'm still a little fearful of falling off. I just know it's not likely to happen. I agree with skib - get a body protector, and that will help, psychologically, as well as physically. Even if you only manage down the long side of the school, and don't worry about corners until you feel you're balanced.
True about the body protector I wore one for the first time on Saturday (not mine the riding school s) and seemed a better ride because of it. And apparently I'm going to jump next lesson which is rather quick. Not next time I as thats going to be today. As im on my way to riding houlday

Reactions: selside and Huggy
newrider.com