Fires near to stables (wasn't sure where to post this)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Does anyone know how close legally (or indeed if there are any laws covering this) that someone could have a garden / bonfire in relation to it being near someone's stables? I have done a bit of a search online but couldn't find much. Also, (I could have dreamt this!) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you could buy a smoke detection system that's linked to your mobile phone. I remember it being expensive but that was a while ago so maybe it's come down in price. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks in advance.

I don't know @Trewsers, I just assumed there was no rules other than the normal don't be a nuisance 🤔
I cringe when ever the guy opposite me has a bonfire, he always seems to wait for the wind to be blowing away from his house and has the bonfire right at the end of his garden, I get it, but it means smoke and possibly sparks are coming right across the lane, my top paddock and through my barn that's full of hay!

I don't know @Trewsers, I just assumed there was no rules other than the normal don't be a nuisance 🤔
I cringe when ever the guy opposite me has a bonfire, he always seems to wait for the wind to be blowing away from his house and has the bonfire right at the end of his garden, I get it, but it means smoke and possibly sparks are coming right across the lane, my top paddock and through my barn that's full of hay!
Hmm, that's what I was thinking too. I know there's no rules on burning rubbish in your garden so long as it's not toxic and nasty stuff that shouldn't be burnt. However, I did wonder if there were some rules in place to protect buildings like barns that could easily ignite? In that there has to be a certain distance employed? Hmm.

I think there are laws, though you may need to look further than those on bonfires which relate to smoke and pollution cotrols.

You need to look at rules about any activity which interferes with your own use and enjoyment of your property.

We had long term problems with the (previous) neighbours' barbecue which was positioned against the wall between our gardens.The wall chanelled the smoke directly into our garden meaning we couldnt use our garden on the evenings he lit his barbecue. And the house stank of his cooking.

The "use" of your property (i.e. garden or land) is what you are entitled to. So if sparks and smoke are coming into your property that would be an offence. I have not checked the bye laws before typing this. But you will probably find them on line. I went to the public library.

My daughter told me to keep a diary of the days he lit the barbecue and we were affected by the smoke. You need the diary to present to the Council if you make a complaint. But in most cases it is enough to warn the neighbour that you intend to make a complaint. Our neighbour got very angry and stormed into our house and shouted and was a total idiot. But his student sons (I think one was reading law) took charge and saw to it that the barbecue was in the middle of their garden when lit and we did the same with ours.

I dont know the position regarding fire risk. If you are a member of the BHS you might like to ask their legal help line. But If sparks are coming into your land obviously that should not happen as it is preventing you from using your land just as much as smoke.

I think there are laws, though you may need to look further than those on bonfires which relate to smoke and pollution cotrols.

You need to look at rules about any activity which interferes with your own use and enjoyment of your property.

We had long term problems with the (previous) neighbours' barbecue which was positioned against the wall between our gardens.The wall chanelled the smoke directly into our garden meaning we couldnt use our garden on the evenings he lit his barbecue. And the house stank of his cooking.

The "use" of your property (i.e. garden or land) is what you are entitled to. So if sparks and smoke are coming into your property that would be an offence. I have not checked the bye laws before typing this. But you will probably find them on line. I went to the public library.

My daughter told me to keep a diary of the days he lit the barbecue and we were affected by the smoke. You need the diary to present to the Council if you make a complaint. But in most cases it is enough to warn the neighbour that you intend to make a complaint. Our neighbour got very angry and stormed into our house and shouted and was a total idiot. But his student sons (I think one was reading law) took charge and saw to it that the barbecue was in the middle of their garden when lit and we did the same with ours.

I dont know the position regarding fire risk. If you are a member of the BHS you might like to ask their legal help line. But If sparks are coming into your land obviously that should not happen as it is preventing you from using your land just as much as smoke.
Thanks, that's a good idea with the BHS.

Just thinking again about smoke alarms - I read somewhere that they can be tricky to use in stable environments due to being sensitive to dust particles - and that stables obviously can contain a lot of dust / hay dust etc. I wonder if the battery operated ones are equally as sensitive to this as the wired in ones?

No idea on laws Trewsers or smoke alarms for that matter, I do know our wireless CCTV will pick up smoke/steam though, would it be worth looking at something like that if you need early warning of a fire? Definitely phone the BHS, hopefully their legal team can help?

No idea on laws Trewsers or smoke alarms for that matter, I do know our wireless CCTV will pick up smoke/steam though, would it be worth looking at something like that if you need early warning of a fire? Definitely phone the BHS, hopefully their legal team can help?
That's interesting about the cctv - I didn't realise they would pick up smoke or steam. Hmm. Thanks for the idea, I will do a bit of research.

That's interesting about the cctv - I didn't realise they would pick up smoke or steam. Hmm. Thanks for the idea, I will do a bit of research.
Ours does, can be a bit annoying when we get an alert at 5.15 in the morning on a cold day when the central heating fires up!
We got Eufy cameras and base station because unlike most others it stores recordings on its own hard drive so you don’t have to pay a monthly amount to the maker to store videos.

Ours does, can be a bit annoying when we get an alert at 5.15 in the morning on a cold day when the central heating fires up!
We got Eufy cameras and base station because unlike most others it stores recordings on its own hard drive so you don’t have to pay a monthly amount to the maker to store videos.
Ah yes our boiler steams outside - it's housed in the garage. The cats all come running when it fires up because they know I'm up and about as I switch it on manually rather than on the timer. If they aren't in the garage already they soon are! But 5.15 - yeah too early!

Last nite the neighbor on the laneway side had a party and a bonfire in their backyard.

The houses are not close.
I did not even notice.
When my husband came in from shutting the goats night areas he said Lincoln was outside watching.
Everyone else was tucked up asleep.

The house on the other side past the grassy field has them too but they are not close either.

newrider.com